Black screen - Win7 guest image on Win10 VB7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
babylonfive
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Black screen - Win7 guest image on Win10 VB7

Post by babylonfive »

I've generated a Win7 set of images with DiskToVHD from a working AMD Win7-64 system. They are being run as imported guest images in a VB Host under Win10, but no matter what I try I get a flashing cursor on a black screen, and the error appears to be:

00:00:08.335963 VM: Raising runtime error 'VMBootFail' (fFlags=0x0)
00:00:08.335970 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=VMBootFail message="The VM failed to boot. This is possibly caused by not having an operating system installed or a misconfigured boot order. Maybe picking a guest OS install DVD will resolve the situation"

I am using VirtualBox Version 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.2), and the associated .0.14 extension pack. It's running on an AMD Ryzen 7 system with 32GB DRAM, under Win10.

I've left most VBOX settings default; allocated 4 of 16 cores and 12GB of DRAM, 256MB of graphic memory and enabled acceleration.

Image .1 is the boot drive volumes and seems to have the boot, recovery, and c: volumes. image .0 is the d: drive with some user directories. They are attached to a SATA/AHCI controller, but I have also tried the PIIX4 with no difference.

I have opened the .VHD files and they look correct, but I'm not familiar with the structure of the VHD to be sure.
archive-drive.1.PNG
archive-drive.1.PNG (16.82 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Attachments
VBox.zip
(36.23 KiB) Downloaded 2 times