vdi crc error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Markie

vdi crc error

Post by Markie »

I've had this problem for a long time already and so far I've used some workaround solution, but I would really like to know how to fix this for good.

Starting maybe 2 or 3 years ago with whatever version of VB was the latest back then, all VMs with a Win10 guest would run smooth for maybe a couple of weeks or so after I set them up, then would get increasingly into ever more system errors, such as needing to reboot 2 or 3 times before giving me a desktop or crashing frequently.
Took me a while to figure out what it was, but in every single case it was a corrupt .vdi file (an attempt to copy the file came up with crc error).
On start I reinstalled the VM a few times, later I figured it's easier to simply copy the .vdi file to a backup folder and when the VM gets into problems simply copy the file back.

I've carried this problem along with me for the last two new computers I bought, Intel system as well as AMD system, including several clean system installations on the host and on the guests, from Win10 to Win11 on the host as well as on the guests, on half a dozen harddisks, SSDs as well as HDDs the .vdi was stored on and through several versions of VB, the problem remains the same and copying the .vdi back fixes it every time.
It's just a pain having to backup the .vdi almost every day.

An XP guest running parallel to the Win10/11 guest never has any problems, I've checked the .vdi frequently, never any error.

Any idea how to prevent this from happening?
Right now I'm about to reinstall my entire system due to some hardware changes I'll be doing this week, where I want a clean install afterwards and if possible I would like to set it up from start in a way that this won't happen again, or at least not so often.