Moving guest VM fails with an error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
IronRod

Moving guest VM fails with an error

Post by IronRod »

Virtualbox: 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.3)
Kernel: 6.5.0-26-generic

I have three VMs (two Win10 and one LinuxMint). I successfully moved one of the Win10 VM and the LinuxMint VM to a new drive but attempts to move the other Win10 VM fail with errors like below (despite the fact the progress bar goes all the way to 100%):

Code: Select all

To: /mnt/Data/VM

Medium '/media/rod/Development/VM/Win10_Main/Unattended-f3fc36e9-6326-4269-aae7-7885f3434c45-aux-floppy.img' is already in the correct location.
Result Code:
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0X80BB0005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
But looking in that path, there is no such file. The only thing that ever shows up on the target drive is the Snapshots folder which is empty. I have tried multiple times and it always produces and error similar to this. The VM continues to operate fine from where it is. Neither of these Win10 VMs are configured to have a floppy drive. Yet, one successfully moved and the other will not.
Smackey's dad
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Trusty

Re: Moving guest VM fails with an error

Post by Smackey's dad »

Are you currently copying vis Import & Export? Have to tried to move the VM by copying the entire virtual machine folder, containing the .vdi and .vbox files? You can also clone first and then copy if that fails for some reason.
IronRod

Post by IronRod »

Smackey's dad wrote: 22. Apr 2024, 14:22 Are you currently copying vis Import & Export? Have to tried to move the VM by copying the entire virtual machine folder, containing the .vdi and .vbox files? You can also clone first and then copy if that fails for some reason.
I am using the "Machine > Move..." option from the menu. This worked successfully for the other two VMs. Cloning was going to be my next attempt. Then, I was going to try just moving the files via the file system then configure the machine to point to the new files -- but wasn't sure whether that would work.

But, it is weird that the Move is failing for this one VM with an error about a file that doesn't exist. Feels like a bug. Would providing a log be of any help in determining what is happening?
IronRod

Post by IronRod »

I tried cloning the drive this morning and it, too, failed.

Code: Select all

To: Win10_Main

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005)
(Searched in the forum for that error but didn't find anything that seemed similar.)

So, I did an export/import -- export to OVA, import to new location. That appears to have been successful. But I would like to understand what might have been going on that I could not move or clone this VM.