Guru Meditation critical error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bushido

Re: Guru Meditation critical error

Post by Bushido »

Another Guru error appeared when Windows 11 was booting normally. The error appeared after the log-in when the desktop (explorer.exe) has been loaded and I had not done anything.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(79.34 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

As you've probably seen if you checked the detail of the Guru Meditation error is:
00:04:52.088463 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:04:52.088465 !!
00:04:52.088466 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
00:04:52.088472 !!
00:04:52.088486 !! Skipping ring-0 registers and stack, rcErr=VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT

Triple faults are very difficult for anyone to diagnose because the error generally means that VirtualBox cannot understand where the problem is coming from despite it's built in error checking, but it is likely to be hardware or Operating System (OS) related.

I have very limited experience of AMD processors and don't have access to any AMD powered PC's so can't do any comparison checks on log entries but nothing in the log jumps out as indicating a possible cause, except the apparent age and spec of the Host CPU. The log identifies the CPU as:
00:00:06.080112 Full Name: "AMD A4-4300M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics "
If this is correct then it's described by AMD as a dual-core processor initially released in 2012 and, if I were to 'guess' at a potential cause, I would suggest the issue may be that running 2 up to date 64-bit OSs on this processor may well be pushing against the limits of its capabilities, especially if/when processor intensive actions such as scanning for host and/or guest updates, or using Chrome-based browsers are taking place. This may, of course, be wrong, but it may take someone with much more knowledgeable in the use of older AMD Processors on Linux Hosts to comment.

The only other thing you could do is to search the user forum and Public Bugtracker for the detailed Guru Meditation error to see what else has been identified when the same error has reported.
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

multiOS wrote: 19. Apr 2024, 14:32 using Chrome-based browsers are taking place.
Indeed, I use a Chrome-based browser all the time during the Guru Meditation error. If I choose an alternative browser (not related to Chrome it seems?) that is more lightweight on resources, I may solve it?

Also does upgrading CPU to A10-5750M solves the resource issue too? I have original HP ProBook 4545s.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Not certain, but it could be worth a try. 'Chrome' browsers do seem to have gained a reputation for consuming significant resources, made considerably worse if users have a habit of opening a large number of tabs.