Windows 98 No Desktop Screen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
AnAverageGuy

Windows 98 No Desktop Screen

Post by AnAverageGuy »

I have a problem using Windows 98 guest VM. Btw I only use Archive .org isos because anything else I isn’t listed when I select an iso. The problem is after every time i set up windows 98 and 98 se, it never shows the desktop screen, no icons, no taskbar, nothing but my cursor and a teal background.
JKelly

Re: Windows 98 No Desktop Screen

Post by JKelly »

Ah, Win98. There are so many issues:

1) Win98 cannot handle current CPU's, so you have to "lie" to the VM software (using some special features of VBox) to fake an old CPUID instruction from the Intel I5. So read all the Win98 entries on this Board to figure this out. You have to make these changes BEFORE you do the first installation.
2) Win98 is unstable (I think it is a race/clock issue) out-of-the-box on modern hosts, so you have to search for the system updates done by hackers to replace some key system files. Finding a display driver that works, and setting up the mouse so it works correctly is "fun." So read all the Win98 entries on this Board to figure this out.
3) Once you complete your spelunking to find all the necessary updates, you have a VM that can barely start up the Internet (Google is all that worked for me, and you can't click on the links). You have search for a browser that kind of works if you have to click on an HTPS link. Try the RZBrowser to sort of work. I don't believe there is a more modern browser that can handle the current WEB.
4) Win98 will not play any Win98 graphical games, because VBox does not emulate a video card appropriate for the Win98 era which also supports the correct version of DirectX. There is no money to be had in creating an appropriate emulated video card, so I don't think this will change. (The only thing I wanted to do with Win98 was play old games, and I could not get it to work.)
5) Win98 does not allow the use of VBox Guest Additions.
6) USB device support for Win98 is limited.

In summary, using Win98 as a VM is like learning how to walk on stilts - a lot of work to do it and when it is done it is not very practical.