can not have access to USB port on a ubuntu 22.04 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
obuhard

can not have access to USB port on a ubuntu 22.04 host

Post by obuhard »

Hi,

I'm new here, I hope I'm in the right place, tell me otherwise... I possibly didn't look at it correctly but didn't find a good answer to my problem, which will seem trivial to many here, but I don't understand where I'm wrong

I run a Windows 7 Professional guest using the Ubuntu 22.04 virtualbox V 7.0.14. I installed the corresponding extension pack in the VM manager. All goes well until I try to connect a USB device and access it from the windows guest.
That manager correctly shows the 3 types of USB controllers, and I can verify via sudo dmesg | grep usb the device is connected to, for example, a usb 3 (xHCI) port on my computer.
When I add a empty filter to the USB device filter box, none of the connected USB device plugged into a USB port of the computer is listed using the '+' button on the right of the box. When I try to inform the filter with the serial number for example or vendor/product ID (in hex format), I get no more success in discovering the device...
It just seems like the VM manager does not have access to the usb ports.

So I can I get the manager to see the USB ? Does anyone here have the few seconds to help me for this problem I guess will be very simple for most of you...

Thank you for you help
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: can not have access to USB port on a ubuntu 22.04 host

Post by multiOS »

Have you checked on your Linux Host that the VirtualBox User (your username) is registered as a member of the 'vboxusers' system group? The VirtualBox installation sets up the 'vboxusers' group on Linux Systems, but user membership isn't automatic so users have to be added to the group via the appropriate Linux system commands.

If the answer to the above is 'Yes' and there is still a problem, please check your procedure against this guide: viewtopic.php?t=82639 and let us know as per Section 8 of the guidance if you still experience a problem; and it would also be useful to see a copy of the USB Filter entries you've used.

Note: From the release of VirtualBox 7.0.0 the requirement to install the Extension Pack is no longer a specific requirement as USB support was moved into the main program.
obuhard

Re: can not have access to USB port on a ubuntu 22.04 host

Post by obuhard »

Hello multiOS,

thank you for your help, that was effectively the problem, I just had to add the current user to vboxusers to get it working correctly.

I now have other problems but I will open a new thread for that (it is about screen resolution this time...)

Thank you again