How to remove the missing old optical disks' VBoxGuestAdditions.iso after uninstalling & installing VirtualBox v7.0.16+?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

How to remove the missing old optical disks' VBoxGuestAdditions.iso after uninstalling & installing VirtualBox v7.0.16+?

Post by ant »

Hello,

In my updated 64-bit W10 Pro. PC, I uninstalled my VirtualBox v7.0.14 from C:\winstuff\VirtualBox and installed v7.0.16 into my custom C:\Program Files\VirtualBox7.0.16andUp\. I noticed Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager's Tools' Optical disks tab shows missing old VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file from my uninstalled C:\winstuff\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. I am unable to remove this one. How do I delete it?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
Attachments
OldISO.jpg
OldISO.jpg (221.06 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Last edited by ant on 3. May 2024, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
ant

Re: How to remove the missing old optical disks' VBoxGuestAdditions.iso v7.0.14 after uninstalling & installing VirtualB

Post by ant »

I uninstalled .16 and reinstalled .14 into my old c:\winstuff\VirtualBox. I saw the .16 ISO listed and was able to remove it easily. It seems .16 is buggy. I am going to stay with .14 for now.
ant

Re: How to remove the missing old optical disks' VBoxGuestAdditions.iso v7.0.14 after uninstalling & installing VirtualB

Post by ant »

ant wrote: 17. Apr 2024, 21:16 I uninstalled .16 and reinstalled .14 into my old c:\winstuff\VirtualBox. I saw the .16 ISO listed and was able to remove it easily. It seems .16 is buggy. I am going to stay with .14 for now.
.18 still has this problem. No one knows how to remove it? :(
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: How to remove the missing old optical disks' VBoxGuestAdditions.iso after uninstalling & installing VirtualBox v7.0.

Post by fth0 »

ant wrote: 3. May 2024, 20:58 No one knows how to remove it?
Sure, two ideas come to mind:

You could search the .vbox files of all your VMs, since the Virtual Media Manager simply collects all MediaRegistry sections from the .vbox files, reboot the host and edit the .vbox file manually, while no VirtualBox component is running on the host.

An easier alternative might be to copy a VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file to the old location and then use the Virtual Media Manager to remove it again (perhaps a host reboot is necessary to update the list).