Getting black screen when booting Oracle Linux server 8 on Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DarkRider

Getting black screen when booting Oracle Linux server 8 on Virtualbox

Post by DarkRider »

I am getting a black box when booting Oracle Linux server 8.
I have read other posts and tried changing a lot of settings one at a time but not getting any closer.
This VM works for everyone else in the office but me. Could someone look at the log and give me any ideas?
I think the log is saying the error is with Hypervisor but I don't think I have that enabled.
Windows_Features.png
Windows_Features.png (82.87 KiB) Viewed 258 times
I also stopped HV Host Service which was the only thing running. It still did not help.
Windows_Services.png
Windows_Services.png (183.43 KiB) Viewed 258 times
I attached the vbox.log
Attachments
VBox.zip
(34.12 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by DarkRider on 16. Apr 2024, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Getting black screen when booting Oracle Linux server 8 on Virtualbox

Post by multiOS »

The main problem area appears to be:
00:00:02.151809 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.238176 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:02.238223 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
The most common causes are that either Hyper-V Virtualisation has been activated in the Host or that some Windows security features have been activated which prevent VirtualBox's access to VT-x. See this thread for advice on possible actions - viewtopic.php?t=99390https://forums.vir ... hp?t=99390

There are some configuration issues you might also want to consider addressing, although I would not expect these to be part of the cause of your current problem:
00:00:01.844520 VirtualBox VM 6.1.40 r154048 win.amd64 (Oct 11 2022 14:43:48) release log

00:00:16.631745 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.1.22 r144080 '6.1.22'
The last update available for the 6.1 series was 6.1.50 - See: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1 - and it is normally best practice to upgrade the Guest Additions installation in your VMs after a VirtualBox program update. Please note that 6.1.50 is now "End of Life" so there is no expectation of any further 6.1 updates. The next possible step would currently be a full Version upgrade to 7.0.xx.
DarkRider

Post by DarkRider »

So far I have tried the following:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
DISM /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
bcdedit /set vsmlaunchtype Off
Turning off the Windows Memory Integrity security feature

I tried one by one and testing after each one. Still getting the green turtle.

I also tried to disable Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS.
Dell_bios.png
Dell_bios.png (251.04 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Then got this error in VirtualBox
VirtualBox_error.png
VirtualBox_error.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 210 times
DarkRider

Post by DarkRider »

So I got it to work, thanks for your help!
I reset everything back to the way it was originally and tested each one. I needed a combination of two things to make it work.
This is a Dell laptop with Windows 11, btw.

I needed to do two things.
  • Enter this command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
  • Disable "Windows Memory Integrity" and "Firmware protection".
    (Both can be disabled from the same screen. Settings > Privacy & security > Device security > Core isolation details.)
It's disappointing that we can't use those Windows features, but at least it is working.

InfoSecDr posted to set this registry value Enabled to 0 at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\SystemGuard
But that registry entry should change to 0 after disabling "Firmware protection" and rebooting.