Poor performance in Linux guest under Windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Horst107

Poor performance in Linux guest under Windows

Post by Horst107 »

Hello,
I have set up a new system with AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, 64 GB RAM and Nvidia RTX 2060 Super with Windows 11, which runs as expected. If I install virtualbox 7 and set up a current Linux Mint or Ubuntu as a guest, the performance is very poor. This cannot be due to the allocated resources, as I have allocated 12 GB RAM and 6 cores. I can see the poor performance in normal YouTube videos, for example, where the sound is scratchy and the image playback is jerky. I have both reinstalled the guest systems and added an existing Ubuntu guest system that runs well on a much weaker PC. I have also tried both Virtualbox 6 and 7. The guest extension and the extension pack are installed. In all cases there is always the same poor performance. The only function in the BIOS (B650 chipset) that I associate with virtualization is SVM. However, it has no effect whether it is activated or set to AUTO. I then used a command line command to activate a virtualization type for the guest system that had previously been greyed out. This also had no effect. Now I can't think of anything else .... . Does anyone have any ideas?
kabu

Re: Poor performance in Linux guest under Windows

Post by kabu »

One idea, check this link first.
viewtopic.php?t=99390
Do you see green turtle?
Horst107

Re: Poor performance in Linux guest under Windows

Post by Horst107 »

@kabu
Yes, thank you, i have got the green turtle! However, I'm not sure whether I should make the massive changes to the system that would be necessary to fix the problem. I'm afraid there are other disadvantages I'm not yet aware of. I will probably opt for a different virtual machine.