Intermitten Network Interface issue

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tekion

Intermitten Network Interface issue

Post by tekion »

Hello, I've been struggling to identify an issue with my Kali Linux guest (HOST is window 10) IP disappearing from my eth0 interface. Initial boot up, the IP is there, and network connectivity is working as expected. But after a while (unknown timeframe) the IP disappear from the eth0 interface.

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 08:00:27:6f:15:70 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 296926 bytes 40449400 (38.5 MiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 278039 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 4265 bytes 990677 (967.4 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

Any suggestion on tracing out the root cause?
TomOnFedora

Re: Intermitten Network Interface issue

Post by TomOnFedora »

I too have an issue but I will describe it like this. My two fedora guests will be unable to see the internet but can ping each other and the router (using bridged adapters in the guests). They cannot ping other Linux images running on separate physical machines on the same subnet.

So far I have a script inside one of the fedora guests and it occasionally pings c.n.n.c.o.m. If the ping fails it will wait a bit and try again. After the second failure it will start trying to ping other physical Linux machines on the same subnet. If the failure continues after 20 or so minutes it will write to a flag file that is shared with Windows 11. I have a script running continuously in Windows 11 looking for that flag file to be created and I will be notified by something called pushover in the Windows script.

At this point I have not had the failure but during all of the retries I write the output of ifconfig, route, nslooking, ping internally and etc to a diagnostic file that is also shared with Windows. I went with using a shared file approach because all network communications with the fedora guests are lost and I cannot send a text or a pushover across a network that is not working.

I hope to capture the failure soon.