Unable to install guest additions on Fedora 40 beta

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JochenW

Unable to install guest additions on Fedora 40 beta

Post by JochenW »

Hi,

attempting to install the guest additions on Fedora 40 beta, I get the error below. Uname identifies the kernel as 6.8.4-300.fc40.x86_64.
gcc, make, elfutils-libelf-devel, kernel-headers, and kernel-devel are installed.

Thanks,

Jochen

```
gcc -Wp,-MMD,/tmp/vbox.0/.combined-os-specific.o.d -nostdinc -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/compiler-version.h -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -std=gnu11 -fshort-wchar -funsigned-char -fno-common -fno-PIE -fno-strict-aliasing -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -fcf-protection=branch -fno-jump-tables -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -mindirect-branch-cs-prefix -mfunction-return=thunk-extern -fno-jump-tables -mharden-sls=all -fpatchable-function-entry=16,16 -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -fno-allow-store-data-races -fstack-protector-strong -ftrivial-auto-var-init=zero -fno-stack-clash-protection -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -falign-functions=16 -fstrict-flex-arrays=3 -fno-strict-overflow -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Wall -Wundef -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=return-type -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-format-security -Wno-trigraphs -Wno-frame-address -Wno-address-of-packed-member -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -Wno-main -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -Wno-dangling-pointer -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-function-type -Wno-stringop-overflow -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-alloc-size-larger-than -Wimplicit-fallthrough=5 -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -Wenum-conversion -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -Wno-restrict -Wno-packed-not-aligned -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-stringop-truncation -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-type-limits -Wno-shift-negative-value -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -Wno-sign-compare -g -Wno-declaration-after-statement -fno-pie -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/VBoxGuestMangling.h -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DVBOX -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_GUEST -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DIN_MODULE -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBGL_VBOXGUEST -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DMODULE -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"combined_os_specific"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxguest"' -D__KBUILD_MODNAME=kmod_vboxguest -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/combined-os-specific.o /tmp/vbox.0/combined-os-specific.c
/tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.c: In function ‘vgdrvLinuxParamLogGrpSet’:
/tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.c:1364:9: error: implicit declaration of function ‘strlcpy’; did you mean ‘strscpy’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
1364 | strlcpy(&g_szLogGrp[0], pszValue, sizeof(g_szLogGrp));
| ^~~~~~~
| strscpy
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:243: /tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1939: /tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile-footer.gmk:133: vboxguest] Error 2
kernel modules and services were not reloaded
```
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Unable to install guest additions on Fedora 40 beta

Post by multiOS »

You haven't mentioned which version of VirtualBox you have installed, but if that version was released prior to the release date of the Fedora 40 Beta (and it's Linux Kernel Version) then you are highly likely to hit problems when trying to build the Guest Additions.

The options to try are:

1. Downgrade the Linux Kernel to a version that is supported by the VirtualBox version currently in use.
2. Update the VirtualBox installation and Guest additions to the latest Test Build available - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
3. Wait until the next 'stable' release of VirtualBox is announced; and check the release notes for mention of updates to the supported versions the Linux Kernel.
Sonalita

Re: Unable to install guest additions on Fedora 40 beta

Post by Sonalita »

Came to ask the same question (but for Ubuntu 24.04 server edition) so I'm adding to this reply in case anyone else finds it useful.

For me, the fix was to install the dev build (in my case development revision 162957)

I did not need to download the guest addons ISO separately.