Win 7 guest fails to start after guestadditions 6.1.48 update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Kobbema

Win 7 guest fails to start after guestadditions 6.1.48 update

Post by Kobbema »

host Linux/Ubunto 22.04.3 LTS
guest Windows 7, see vminfo attached
Windows fails to start normally
Windows Repair runs but fails with message: Boot critical file D:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\VBoxGuest.sys is corrupt.
Attachments
vminfo.txt
vboxmanage showvminfo Win7
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win 7 guest fails to start after guestadditions 6.1.48 update

Post by scottgus1 »

I think 6.1.48 Guest Additions had a bug on Windows 7. Try upgrading Virtualbox and Guest Additions to 6.1.50.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Ubuntu has upgraded VirtualBox to version 6.1.50.
The Guest Additions are also at 6.1.50.

At https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... untu-and-f I found this
To check the version of the installed VirtualBox Guest Additions, run this command:
For Linux-based systems:
VBoxClient --version
~$ VBoxClient --version

Code: Select all

6.1.50_Ubuntur161033
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Is there anybody out there?
louisjjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: W2K19

Post by louisjjames »

While not directly related to your topic, I too am finding that Guest Additions (V6 and V7) are causing problems. My recent post (viewtopic.php?t=111296) is similar to yours. I purchased a new Windows 11 Pro (from W10) and updated to V7 and it failed like yours. Eventually it worked but not well. Again, it seems there is something going on with the Guest Additions.

Sorry I provide no answers but your experiences and mine might help to come up with a solution. (Albeit it differently)

Louis
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Thank you Louis.

I wish somebody knowledgeably would tell me whether it is worthwhile to wait for help or just rebuild the VM.
louisjjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: W2K19

Post by louisjjames »

Kobbema:

A thought. I had a similar situation however, my case was a Windows host (W10) and Windows guest (W2019 Server). After an update my guest would not start. If memory serves, I was going from V6 to V7.

In my case, I too was faced with the dilemma of rebuilding the guest. Remembering that I'm not well versed in Linux, I uninstalled the Host completely, including finding the Guest Extensions .vbox-extpack locations and deleting them. I rebooted. I then downgraded from V7 to V6 and installed. Launched the guest and it launched. It looked for an update to the guest additions.

While this may not be the recommended, in my case it worked. Also another idea is to clone your guest and see if that works. It could be that your .vbox definition file is corrupt. Cloning (I think) rebuilds or creates a new one.

Again, not sure if that helps but it may be some ideas worth pursuing. If not, you may have no choice but to rebuild.

Also, if you do as I suggest and you launch your guest, might be worth copying all your setup in the guest (including data) so that you can rebuild anyway.

I feel your pain.

Louis
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Louis, thank you.

I think I will bite the bullet en rebuild the VM. I just hope my Microsoft keys will still be accepted.