Win10 to Win11 Upgrade not possible on Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DSB Cloudian

Win10 to Win11 Upgrade not possible on Guest

Post by DSB Cloudian »

My Windows 10 Pro (registered) guest does not currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11.
The PC Health Check app shows 3 issues (2 warnings: "Secure boot" and "TPM 2.0") and 3rd is the one I think is blocking the upgrade:
-The processor is not currently supported by Windows 11
-Processor: Intel Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz

The host laptop is running Win10 Pro (registered) which reports the same failure to upgrade and lists the same CPU.

Is there a workaround for the guest?
Q: Is the guest's vCPU always going to match the host's CPU?

Am I stuck on Win10 for the host and all the Win10 guests until I get a new laptop?
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Re: Win10 to Win11 Upgrade not possible on Guest

Post by FranceBB »

Well, in theory you could backup your current Windows 10 VM, then create a new entry in the virtualbox manager targeting Windows 11 by making sure it's set to UEFI and with a TPM 2.0, then attach the Windows 10 vdi disk to it and hope for the best.

The main issue I can think with this plan of action though is that you installed Windows 10 on BIOS and when you're gonna try to boot on UEFI it won't work as it won't find any boot partition, so technically you would need a way to convert your BIOS windows 10 installation to a UEFI windows 10 installation, then add the virtual TPM, then add the registry's windows 11 bypass that you can find in the guest additions so that it won't complain about the CPU and then upgrade.
Keep in mind, though, that there's a high chance that your OS will become unbootable in the process, so please copy the vdi to a safe place before you start messing around with this.

Here's the guide to convert from BIOS to UEFI from the Microsoft website https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 1405f800d7
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Re: Win10 to Win11 Upgrade not possible on Guest

Post by birdie »

If you're not using EFI/GPT, converting from MBR to it is risky, please make a full copy of your VM and then try it:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/convert-mbr-to-gpt-disk