Extension Pack Causes SLOW Performance

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
louisjjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: W2K19

Extension Pack Causes SLOW Performance

Post by louisjjames »

Good Morning to All:

I'm stumped. I would be grateful for any guidance, ideas and/or thoughts. (I realize the post is lengthy but I wanted to provide as much as possible information and to demonstrated that I've tried several troubleshooting steps):

CURRENTLY USING:
VirtualBox 7.0.14.161095
VirtualBox Extension Pack 7.0.14
Guest OS Windows 2019 Standard
Guest Memory 16 GB / 2 CPU's
Guest Video Memory 128 MB and NOT enabled 3D Acceleration
Host OS Windows 11 Pro
Host OS Memory 64 GB / i9 Processor (24 cores)

Since using Windows 11 Pro as the HOST, my Guest VM's for Window 2019 Standard are taking forever to boot up and display the Desktop. I have taken the following steps:

1.- Was using 7.0.6.155176 and Extension 7.0.6a-155176. I uninstalled the Extension Pack and reinstalled to no avail on the Guest. No luck.
2.- Uninstalled 78.0.6.155176 on the host, rebooted and installed 7.0.14-161095 on the host. Launched the Guest VM and it worked immediately. HOWEVER.
3.- Updated Guest Additions to 7.0.14.161095 and now it's slow again.

Interestingly, if I clone a previous VM (Guest) that was not updated with the latest Guest Additions, It starts right up but once the Guest Additions are updated, it crawls.

Also:

*.- Takes up to 4 minutes to have a usable desktop (from 2 minutes on Windows 10 HOST, same VM)
*.- Increasing Guest Memory from 16 GB to 32 Gb had little effect. Actually seemed slower.
*.- Turning ON Enable 3D Acceleration increased the time to nearly 7 minutes (from 4 minutes)
*.- Increased Video Memory to 256 Mb but had little impact (again, actually seemed slower)
*.- On the Guest, disabled Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects - again little impact
*.- On the Guest, set visual effects to best performance. Still 6 to 7 minutes to get to the desktop.
*.- Turned OFF Enable 3D Acceleration (Interestingly it still should 256 Mb Video Memory). Still 4 minutes to a usable desktop.

Candidly, since going to Windows 11 Pro as the HOST, VirtualBox has been difficult. I know it's not VirtualBox (I don't think) but I would assume it is Windows 11 Pro (at least I hope it's not VirtualBox). That said, I wonder if it's time to look at an alternate. VirtualBox has been so good to me.

I would be grateful for any help. Thank you in advance.

Louis
Obsession

Re: Extension Pack Causes SLOW Performance

Post by Obsession »

What was the Host-OS before?

I think the loss of performance depends on Hyper-V on Host-OS Windows 11. Have a look and disable all Hyper-V in Windows 11. Also disable the virtualized security in GPO (under administrative/System/Device Guard) - that was the reason for lags on my machine.
louisjjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: W2K19

Re: Extension Pack Causes SLOW Performance

Post by louisjjames »

Well, Well, Well!!!

Obsession, you are brilliant! Thank you. To answer your questions or notes:
What was the Host-OS before?
*.- Previously, the Host was a Windows 10 Pro. Worked with no problem.
Have a look and disable all Hyper-V in Windows 11.
*.- Yes and it had no Effect!
Also disable the virtualized security in GPO (under administrative/System/Device Guard)
*.- BINGO! That I had not done! Once I did that, it worked perfectly. It's back to what it used to be. In fact, my Guest OS (Windows 2019 Standard) boots up within 45 seconds. MUCH faster than the nearly 6 - 7 minutes it was taking.

WOW!

Thank you again Obsession!

Louis