AlmaLinux 9.1 Guest, black screen after login

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Mats62
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS 7.6,7.2, 6.2,AlmaLinux 9.1

AlmaLinux 9.1 Guest, black screen after login

Post by Mats62 »

Hi. In the attached archive logFilesWithAndWithoutTheBlackScreenAfterLogin.zip are VBox logfiles, two copies each, from booting a VM and logging in to it. The files starting with an underscore are the same files as the ones without the "_", just with the most obvious parts of lines edited that will differ, due to timestamps, for slightly easier line-by-line comparison.

In one case I can log in, in the "broken case" it hangs with a black screen after I submit the password. (and I then forcefully power it off) If I wait a minute or so, before powering off, the login-screen comes back.

The difference between working and not working is one single line added in /etc/gdm/custom.conf in the guest:
[security]
#DisallowTCP=false

If I uncomment the line with "DisallowTCP=false I can no longer log in. (but if I set DisallowTCP to "true", I can also log in)

When the problem is present, /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/Xorg.0.log says "no screen found".

The same setting causes no issue on bare-metal installations with the same package-set.

The differences in the logfiles starting around line 1860 seem to be showing something, but I don't know what they are trying to tell me.

I'm not 100% sure, but it could be that this started to happen after a Win11 update to 23H2 on the host, the logs seem to suggest that the GAs are disturbed by that setting in custom.conf.

Any ideas?
thx in advance.... / Mats
Attachments
logFilesWithAndWithoutTheBlackScreenAfterLogin.zip
(137.83 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Lisa Miller

Re: AlmaLinux 9.1 Guest, black screen after login

Post by Lisa Miller »

Try to set the VGA Memory size of the VMs, to the same size which your real hardware have.
List of last known version of VirtualBox where DnD still works in both directions:
* viewtopic.php?t=111442

Self-explanatory display of experimental features in the GUI:
* https://www.virtualbox.org//ticket/22048

Self-explanatory display of default values in the GUI:
* https://www.virtualbox.org//ticket/22049