How do I emulate an Intel CPU on an AMD machine?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hussainmithi

How do I emulate an Intel CPU on an AMD machine?

Post by hussainmithi »

I am an engineering student trying to run simulation on ABAQUS. The version I'm using is 6.14, which is from 2014 and predates the existence of Ryzen processors (I have a Ryzen 9 5980HX). So the software doesn't work on my PC. This is why I decided to use a Virtual Machine in VBox.

I used the command "VBoxManage modifyvm "Mac OS Snow Leopard" --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"" but the VM refuses to run. I even tried an i7 6700K. Is there something I'm doing wrong with this? Or is it just not possible to spoof an Intel CPU on an AMD host?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: How do I emulate an Intel CPU on an AMD machine?

Post by multiOS »

Installing macOS on non-Apple hardware is not supported as it breaches Apple's Licensing Terms and Conditions - see viewtopic.php?t=92649 and/or the VirtualBox User Guide Section 4.1.1
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: How do I emulate an Intel CPU on an AMD machine?

Post by BillG »

Since you posted it this forum I take it your host is Windows. Why did you decide to run MacOS in the vm rather than Windows, when you obviously have a Windows version of ABAQUS?

As multiOS pointed out, running a MacOS on a Windows vm breaches Apple's user agreement, so it can't be supported here.
Bill