Old HD on a failed PC - How to access the OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
drumdr

Old HD on a failed PC - How to access the OS

Post by drumdr »

New here, so thanks for any help. I've read many of the forum topics, but I've not found (as of yet) any that address my specific situation.

My old PC failed at the processor level several years ago. (Asus Predator G3). I pulled the drives out and tried to get access to the main desktop files to no avail. The system was running windows 2010. I was able to access some files on a partition not associated with the OS, but there's a lot missing which were in folders on the desktop.

My current system is running both Windows 10 & 11 on a dual boot setup, however, the system came stock with Windows 11.
The old drive (call it the Predator drive, or PD) will not show up in the bios as an option to boot, although Windows 10 boots just fine from a newer SSD.

I'm wanting to pull my files off the PD but can't seem to figure out how to do it. It seems that creating an VHD image might be the best way to attempt a boot from VirtualBox.

Feel free to point me to any existing posts, and thank you for your advice.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Old HD on a failed PC - How to access the OS

Post by BillG »

The best way to do that using VirtualBox is to use the Microsoft Sysinternals program disk2VHD to make a VHD version of the HD (all partitions) from the failed PC.

If you have problems reading this VHD from a physical machine, create a Windows vm and attach the VHD to this vm as and additional drive. You can then copy any files from the VHD to the vm, then copy them from the vm to wherever you want them.
Bill