Black Screen on AMD Threadripper Pro 7985WX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
cmens

Black Screen on AMD Threadripper Pro 7985WX

Post by cmens »

Hello everyone. I was trying VirtualBox on AlmaLinux 9.2 and 9.3 Host with an AMD Threadripper Pro 7985WX (Dell 7875 Workstation). The Graphic Cards is Nvidia T400.
While eveything was working fine on AMD Threadripper Pro 5995WX (Dell 7865 Workstation), on the 7985WX none of my VMs is starting and reamin with a Black Screen.

The OS Setup is excactly the same due Anaconda Kickstart, so there can't be a mismatch in the underlying OS.

I also tried serval Versions of VirtualBox:
* Release Version: 7.0.14
* Latest Build: 7.0.x revision 161959
* Dev Snapshot: dev revision 161998

All these tested Versions have the same behaviour.

I also tried those tips when having a black screen in the VM with Fullscreen/Exit Fullscreen/Fullscreen again with no success.

My guess is that the CPU is not supported yet, because it works flawless on the "older" AMD CPU.
log.zip
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Any help would be appreciate!
johnnydoe

Re: Black Screen on AMD Threadripper Pro 7985WX

Post by johnnydoe »

Even I am facing the same issue and starting to think cpu is not supported but I don't see the reasons and justifications .
Have you found any fix ?
cmens

Post by cmens »

johnnydoe wrote: 1. Apr 2024, 10:45 Even I am facing the same issue and starting to think cpu is not supported but I don't see the reasons and justifications .
Have you found any fix ?
No, I didn't find any fixes yet, so I stuck on an older AMD Threadripper Pro 5995WX, where everything works out-of-the-box!
johnnydoe

Post by johnnydoe »

Fixed :

Disable PAE/NX AND NESTED VT-x/AMD -V in system > processor
Go to Acceleration , Select KVM and disable Nested Paging

This will fix the black screen