Unable to install Guest Additions On WinME

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
xp4eternity

Unable to install Guest Additions On WinME

Post by xp4eternity »

Hey,

So WinME installs without incident but not the guest additions. im left to a tiny 16 colors 640 x 480 res and the video quality is horrible. it can clearly be seen when you open windows media player.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2024-03-06 14-53-20.png
Screenshot from 2024-03-06 14-53-20.png (37.14 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Unable to install Guest Additions On WinME

Post by multiOS »

The Guest Additions will only work with Windows XP and later, not the earlier DOS-based (Windows GUI) releases - see the VirtualBox User Manual, Section 4.1 for information on the range of officially supported VM Operating Systems.
xp4eternity

Post by xp4eternity »

so what do i have to do to get the equivalent of what the guest additions brings?
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

Try a more appropriate emulator software, such as DOSBox-X, which is designed to support installing those early Windows GUIs - https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/#Guide:Installing-Windows-ME
xp4eternity

Post by xp4eternity »

multi OS, do you have a link to boot winme on dosbox-x on linux? im having trouble installing it. generally, with mounting.
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

I haven't used a Linux Distro as a Host system (I only use Linux VMs) so can't really help on that, but DOSBox-X is just one example of emulator software designed to make of early Windows GUI Systems usable on modern hardware; and one of the other options available may offer better support/guidance for Linux users, e.g. 86Box or DOSBox Staging (the relevant GitHub pages can sometimes be more informative than the program websites). The DOSBox Staging site - https://dosbox-staging.github.io/releas ... and-debian - seems to have some useful pointers for Linux users;

and this page provides links to a number options including a link to a page of the DOSBox Forks: https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/inde ... _emulators

However, it is necessary to be realistic about the hardware Windows ME and pre-2000 versions of the Windows GUI were designed to use especially when it comes to Screen resolution and video performance. There will be limitations with systems that were programmed 20+ years ago to work with the expected 10-14" 4:3 CRT Monitors of the time (or in the home environment often relatively low-Res TVs). For interest, I did fire up a VirtualBox Windows ME VM on my MacBook Pro and the display is very similar to that on your Linux system, i.e. useable at a basic level for retro interest, but not great graphically!
xp4eternity

Post by xp4eternity »

Hey,

So i didnt realize the commands are supposed to go in the DOS prompt thats included in DOSBOX-X. i followed the guide but i have a question regarding drive letters:

do they have to be C, D, A respectively or could they be any? And if they have to be those letters, will the C impact my physical drive as in damaging my files (pictures, documents, etc.)?
xp4eternity

Post by xp4eternity »

hey,

So I decided to try the installation on my other laptop. Following the guide, dosbox-x -conf winme.conf doesent work neither in dosbox-x nor in the linux terminal. did it work for you? (on your cmd)

And also, do you know if dosbox have a forums site? cuz I dont see any.