code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MarkFoley

code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

Post by MarkFoley »

I've been running VirtualBox-6.1.38 on my Slackware 14.2 (kernel 4.4.301) since Sept, 2022 and thought I'd upgrade to the latest 7.0.14. I downloaded the .run and did the install, per usual. However, when I try to launch VirtualBox Manager, the icon just bounces for a while, then goes away. If I try to start using 'VBoxManage startvm commonW10' I get the error:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'commonW10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
I've looked at the other, older threads in this forum with this error and tried those recommended solutions. They didn't work.

How can I fix this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

Post by scottgus1 »

MarkFoley wrote: 8. Feb 2024, 22:06 I've looked at the other, older threads in this forum with this error and tried those recommended solutions. They didn't work.
Without a link to the other threads we won't know what you tried.

This could be a mix of older and newer Virtualbox on the host. Especially if it was old distro-repo Virtualbox and new Official Virtualbox. Also, upgrades across major versions might cause trouble.

Try purging Virtualbox (the VMs will remain) then reinstall 7.0.14 again. Please note that if you're using the Linux distro Virtualbox, you may have to ask the distro for help fixing it.
MarkFoley

Re: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

Post by MarkFoley »

I not sure what happened in the first instance, but I wiped the drive, restored Slackware 14.2 from backup and restored the corresponding VirtualBox-6.1.38 .vdi from backup. That booted fine and the Windows VM came up just fine. I then did the Slackware upgrade to 15.0 and again the Windows VM came up just fine. After letting things run for a week, and after making full backups, I then upgraded to VirtualBox-7.0.14 just yesterday and again, no problem. So, I must have done something bad initially as you suggest. Dunno what.

This issue is resolved -- apparent user error. Now I just have to get my VM upgraded to Windows 11 (see other posts)