Manjaro hangs starting in virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lpmanjaro

Manjaro hangs starting in virtualbox

Post by lpmanjaro »

My host is Manjaro, and I wanted to install another Manjaro, which worked ok. I installed the new manjaro on a standalone SSD as a raw metal install. It boots in vbox just fine until I installed VBoxLinuxAdditions then the new Manjaro hangs when attempting to load as a guest. I then fell back (Re insalled VBoxLinuxASdditions) to 6.1.50 of GuestAdditions and the new Manjaro loads just fine. (I’m using VMDK to access the raw installation of the new Manjaro.)
As another test I applied VBoxLinuxAdditions at 7.0.0 but that guest of the new Manjaro failed to load as a guest.
Reapplied VBoxLinuxAdditions at 6.1.50 and the new Manjaro guest loads just fine.

Now You ask, how did I get the new Manjaro to load as a guest to re-apply VBoxLinuxAdditions ??
I discovered that if I tap the UPARROW key multiple times as the new Manjaro attempts to load as a guest, it does load.

Any thoughts on how to get VBoxLinuxAdditions 7.0.14 to load and the guest to start ?
I will post this to thevbox forum as I really feel that this is a vbox issue, thou it only effects Manjaro guests. (I have several other distros that don’t have this issue with VBoxLinuxAdditions 7.0.14)
lpmanjaro

Re: Manjaro hangs starting in virtualbox

Post by lpmanjaro »

I can't take credit for this workaround that I got for this problem that I posted on Manjaro forum as well, and not sure how to give credit to the contributier there but here is the workaround that worked for my issue. The id there is: linux-aarhus

"I know there is some huddlihut with plymouth and virtualbox vm - I don’t know what it is but I know what workaround to apply. Restart your vm - and hit Esc to enter too Grub menu. Edit your command and remove quiet, splash and udev.log_priority=3 - press F10 to boot the vm. Edit your /etc/default/grub and edit the command to remove the above arguments. Save and rebuild your grub config grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"