shared folders

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rcpilot

shared folders

Post by rcpilot »

Hi all, Many years ago I had problems with shared folders, that was solved thanks to scotgus, Well I have had to replace my motherboard, harddrive and dvd drive, had to purchase a new vida workshop manual and reload it using vbox, (that's all sorted now) all I had to do was configure my still working old scanner on a new vbox machine (did that all working again) then came the problem of a shared folder, in the shared folder section I was able to create a shared folder and it states that in the shared folder section however that's all I can do, it's not showing up on either the virtual machine or the host desktop what do I do?

Help greatly appreciated
Ken
rcpilot

Re: shared folders

Post by rcpilot »

Hi Further to my post it was not years ago it was roughly 12 months ago doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself, however I have decided to scrap the whole idea for a scanner and buy one when the desire and time arises. I was a mechanic when I was working and used to frequent the motoring forums, there I used to help out people who had a modicum of knowledge of what they were doing but got stuck sometimes. Now on this topic of shared folders, I trawled the internet for advice all seemed the same "very easy to do" ok if you know what you are doing I don't that's why I posted on here. Just probably one little thing was preventing me from obtaining my goal and help from you people could help me achieve that. You see all these people who write about subjects like this they don't realise they are dealing with joe public and assume that he knows just as much as what he knows, well if that was the case joe public would not be looking on his website, so thanks alot for your help and good night all
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: shared folders

Post by fth0 »

rcpilot wrote: 24. Feb 2024, 13:02 it was not years ago it was roughly 12 months ago
It was rather 3 months ago (November 2023, see viewtopic.php?t=110542), and the same rules apply today:

Read and follow the instructions in the VirtualBox User Manual (4.3. Shared Folders). If you get stuck, explain where you got stuck and post a (zipped) VBox.log file from a VM run where the Shared Folder didn't work.