Error on Linux: Failed to open virtual machine; NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0X80070057)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Error on Linux: Failed to open virtual machine; NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0X80070057)

Post by fth0 »

I'd suggest to concentrate on a single repeatable occurrence of the problem. I'll give you one example from what I understood so far:

1. On the Antix host, the Wine0 VM was registered in the VirtualBox Manager and located in /media/<user>/NeonH/<user>/VirtualBox VMs/Wine0/Wine0.vbox, with sda7 mounted on /media/<user>/NeonH. The Wine0 VM had an ISO file in its virtual DVD drive, for example /media/<user>/NeonH/<user>/tmp/install/MX-23.1_x64/MX-23.1_x64.iso. Side question: The tmp folder isn't a mount point, is it?

2. On the Debian host, the Linux VM was registered in the VirtualBox Manager and located in /media/<user>/NeonH/<user>/VirtualBox VMs/Linux/Linux.vbox, with sda7 mounted on /media/<user>/NeonH. In the VirtualBox Manager, when trying to add the Wine0 VM, which is located in /media/<user>/NeonH/<user>/VirtualBox VMs/Wine0/Wine0.vbox, you got the error message you reported.

3. Please reproduce steps 1 and 2, verify that /media/<user>/NeonH/<user>/VirtualBox VMs/Wine0/Wine0.vbox and /media/<user>/NeonH/<user>/tmp/install/MX-23.1_x64/MX-23.1_x64.iso are both accessible from within a terminal, close the VirtualBox Manager, wait for at least 5 seconds, copy the VirtualBox.xml and the Wine0.vbox files from within the Debian host, and provide a zip file with them.

4. I noticed that you used a folder with Cyrillic characters (видео for video). Just in case that this plays a role here: Reboot the Debian host, move or rename the VirtualBox.xml file, start the VirtualBox Manager, try to add the Wine0 VM, close the VirtualBox Manager, wait for at least 5 seconds and replace the VirtualBox.xml file with the original.

PS: In principle, you're free to choose another VM for step 3. Just don't deviate from the procedure and provide the corresponding information then.

PPS: If you're proficient with strace, you could run the VirtualBox Manager under strace to capture all filesystem accesses (e.g. use strace -tt -ff -o strace.log VirtualBox inside an empty folder).
kamn

Re: Error on Linux: Failed to open virtual machine; NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0X80070057)

Post by kamn »

bzilak wrote: 29. Dec 2023, 21:31 I think that I resolved the problem, at least for what I needed. I concluded that a VM is less accessible to other hosts if it is created with an .iso file in its CD drive...
Thank you :D
I've just edited .vbox file, deleted line with vbox addons iso under <DVDimages>
everything works