All of my VMs are no longer connecting to internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MROCO

All of my VMs are no longer connecting to internet

Post by MROCO »

Hello,

I created a small network of about 7 VMs in VIrtualBox in two classes ago, that I will need again in the future. At the end of the class I was able to access the internet through any of the VMs through NAT set up on a pfSense firewall and managed by a Windows 2019 Server. I also had an ubuntu, a Kali, a RHEL, and a Windows 11 machine running. Any one of them were working. I came back to them just eight weeks after I stopped using them and now none connect to the internet now. I didn't change any settings prior to this issue occurring. I resorted to creating a new Kali VM in VIrtualBox with identical network settings to that of the one that stopped working (NAT) and it works just fine when I connect to the internet.

Please anyone with some leads, let me know, I'd rather not have to go back and reconfigure seven machines..
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: All of my VMs are no longer connecting to internet

Post by scottgus1 »

Does a brand new VM running outside the pfSense network ping the internet at 8.8.8.8?

Does the pfSense VM ping the internet at 8.8.8.8?

Does a VM inside the pfSense LAN side ping the internet at 8.8.8.8?

Right-click each VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Copy the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file) to the desktop (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file). Zip all the .vbox files and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab.