Windows 11 Install Stuck on VM Failed to Boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MalcolmSlaney

Windows 11 Install Stuck on VM Failed to Boot

Post by MalcolmSlaney »

I'm new to Virtual Box and trying to install a new machine with Windows 11.

I don't see any problems with the configuration but I get the dreaded:
The VM failed to boot. This is possibly caused by not having an operating system installed or a misconfigured boot order. Maybe picking a guest OS install DVD will resolve the situation.
I'm running MacOS Sonoma 14.2 on a 4 processor Intel CPU (Mac Book Pro 13" 2020). I downloaded Virtual Box today and that is version 7.0.14. The Microsoft site only allows downloading Windows 11 Version 23H2. I have the ISO in my downloads directory.

I create a new Machine from the Virtual Box main screen. Name my machine. Specify my ISO and it correctly sees it is a Windows binary. (Leave skip unattended installation unchecked.) Hit Next.

Specify my user name and password, and do *not* touch the additional options (product key, hostname, domain name, install in background). Hit Next.

Leave all the defaults for hardware (4M memory, 2 processors, enable EFI). Hit Next.

Leave all the defaults for virtual disk (80G). Hit Next.

Hit Finish. Screen shot showing summary is attached.

Get message about starting machine and auto capture keyboard and mouse. (I"ve already enabled keyboard, mouse and access to a couple of directories, basically everything Virtual Box asked for.)

And every time I get the error message above. Selecting the ISO again doesn't help.

I've attached the VLOG. The log indicates that it found the ISO!

What do I do next? I'm blocked.

Thanks.

-- Malcolm
Attachments
Virtual Box Summary.png.zip
(123.42 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
MalcolmWindows-2024-02-12-14-34-34.log
(111.08 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 11 Install Stuck on VM Failed to Boot

Post by scottgus1 »

Please try making a new VM and checking "Skip Unattended Install" to do an old-school install.
MalcolmSlaney

Post by MalcolmSlaney »

OK, that got me further. Skip unattended installation.

But then I'm stuck on the screen that lets me pick a language. I can select Standard English (the white on black box), hit return, and then I get a new selector (in blue) letting me pick Standard English, Standard Francais, English, Francais. I can use the up and down arrow keys to move between the options. Escape cancels. But hitting return on my keyboard takes me back to the original screen.

How do I advance? My keyboard is working. What does it want? Screen shot attached.

Thank you!

- Malcolm
P.S. How do I change the default window size? I've got these postage size windows coming up when it boots.
Attachments
Language Selection.png
Language Selection.png (19.01 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That's the Virtualbox EFI boot loader, not Windows 11's installer.

Click ESC to get out of the language selector. Then use the keys indicated at the bottom black area to select the Boot Manager, then boot from the ISO.
MalcolmSlaney

Post by MalcolmSlaney »

Bingo.

I assumed that the ISO was mounted on the DVD drive, and that was correct. Installing now.

Thank you!

- Malcolm