Mini Tool Bar on wrong monitor, VB 7.06

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
KimDanger

Mini Tool Bar on wrong monitor, VB 7.06

Post by KimDanger »

I haven't seen the solution to this - I have a workaround for the moment but it's a little annoying when you forget waht's going on...

VB 7.06 on Linux Mint 21.1, kernel 5.15-60, usin Intel graphics on i7 cpu. Using 2 monitors. Primary monitor has Linux desktop, I want secondary monitor to show Win7 / Win10 etc. desktops full screen.

Mostly all works OK.

BUT:

If any Virtual Machine starts "full screen" on second monitor, the mini-pop up tool bar displays on primary monitor, and locks out the auto-hide Linux taskbar. In other words the VirtBox VM display is correct and the Mini Tool Bar pop up is correct, it's just the Mini Tool Bar is on the wrong monitor.

My workaround for the moment - of the VM opens "full screen" (because I forgot to make it windowed before I shut it down on previous session) on the VM desktop I have to Host + F to get the VM display to go to windowed mode, then Host + F again. This time the pop-up Mini Tool Bar will be on the secondary monitor along with the VN display, as it should be.

Everything was working fine with VirtBox 6.xxx series, then I installed VB 7.06 on a new Linux install and moved the VM's over to the new machine and imported them. Went into each VM and made sure to reinstall the new Extras disk, all OK there.

Is there something obvious I missed??
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Mini Tool Bar on wrong monitor, VB 7.06

Post by mpack »

KimDanger wrote: Everything was working fine with VirtBox 6.xxx series, then I installed VB 7.06 on a new Linux install
I doubt that the VirtualBox version change had anything to do with this - though you could verify by restoring the previous version.

More likely, the monitor IDs were changed when you reinstalled Linux. So the primary monitor has changed.
KimDanger

Post by KimDanger »

That's not it - happens on a clean install of Mint 21.1 and new VM also, built on VirtBx 7.06. Makes no difference what the VM guest is, importing old file or building new VM file, Windows /Linux. Tried on different machines / monitors too.

If the VM -starts- in Windowed mode and you switch the VM to Full Screen from inside the VM, it'll be OK.

Otherwise if the VM starts in Full Screen, you'll have to go into the VM desktop and hit Host + F twice to get the minim tool bar back to the correct monitor.

It looks a lot like the screen select pointer for the Mini Tool Bar is always assuming Monitor 1 / Screen 1 when the VM starts in Full Screen, but it doesn't get updated correctly until you go force Full Screen mode from inside the VM. At least that's what we're seeing here, on a couple machines. Maybe we're overlooking a step somewhere for multi-monitor setup? Some config setting?

Oh well. We'll go back to VtBox 6 for now - it works fine for what we need. And the mini tool bar definitely works correctly in earlier version. At least for whatever we're doing at this end.
dciarnie

Post by dciarnie »

I have run into the same problem with a multi-monitor setup. Toggling full screen is hit or miss, however, with most times not fixing things.
wschlich

Post by wschlich »

Same issue here, virtuall forever, really annoying :-(
Interestingly the issue with the Mini Toolbar on the wrong (=primary) screen only occurs if directly starting the VM (on secondary screen) in full screen (either from a shortcut, or from VB manager, doesn't matter).
When I start the VM in windowed mode and then enter full screen mode, the Mini ToolBar gets shown on the correct screen where the VM window resides.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

wschlich wrote: 12. Feb 2024, 21:47 Same issue here
Please confirm you're using 7.0.14 instead of OP's 7.0.6.