pfSense fails to start

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
shketinet

pfSense fails to start

Post by shketinet »

Hi all!
I'm new to VirtualBox, and need community's help, please! :)
I'm trying to install pfSense on Apple M1 Pro chip, and it fails to load - at some point it just terminates and shows MacOS' "VirtualBox VM quit unexpectedly" message.
Log is attached here.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Attachments
VBox.log
(65.42 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: pfSense fails to start

Post by fth0 »

I'd suggest to try the latest VirtualBox development snapshot (7.0.97r161444 or newer) from the VirtualBox test builds page. It's supposed to work with Linux/ARM guests, but not with Windows/x64 guests. I don't know how good it works with Linux/x64 guests, not to speak of FreeBSD, which pfSense is based on.

I'm interested to hear what you'll discover and to see another (zipped) VBox.log file. :)
shketinet

Post by shketinet »

Yeah, upgrade to 7.0.97 helped, and now it starts. So, thank you for the idea!!
Only now it works really sloooooooowly - it takes pfSense 20+ minutes to start, and it looks like a slow slideshow while loading. :( And another issue is that the texts in VirtualBox is completely unreadable now, as they appear black on black, only parts of the interface get partially readable upon mouse over.
I guess I will need to wait till the stable release version...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW M# Macs have ARM chips, so the x86 code has to be translated to ARM and back, which takes a lot more time.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Unfortunately there seems to be no ARM64 build of the pfSense community edition so far. That'd be faster because it wouldn't need emulating a different CPU.