Disable DHCP Server on Host-Only adapter?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dfatvb
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows/DOS

Disable DHCP Server on Host-Only adapter?

Post by dfatvb »

Hello,

I've found reference that the DHCP server on Host-Only can be turned off. One place said use:

"disable the DHCP server in the VirtualBox settings (File|Preferences|Network)"

However, I have no "Network" in my File/Preference (using 7.0.8).

I need to test an app I'm writing on my local system, with a network setup of VM's on the Host-Only adapter so I'd like to use Host-Only.

Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Disable DHCP Server on Host-Only adapter?

Post by scottgus1 »

Host-Only configuration was moved in 7.0 to the main Virtualbox window's File menu, Tools flyout menu, Network Manager. Host-Only networks are in the first tab.

When a Host-Only network is selected in the list, there are two tabs below. One covers the Host-Only Adapter seen by the host OS. This one should remain on "Configure Adapter Manually", thus the host adapter will not try to get a DHCP-served IP. It is usual for the adapter to be ".1" in the IP range, though you could set it to something else. The first adapter made by Virtualbox defaults to using 192.168.56.# IP range, with the adapter at 192.168.56.1.

The DHCP server tab covers other VM adapters set to connect to this Host-Only adapter. You can either leave the tab's DHCP server enabled, and instruct the adapters inside the VMs to have static IP addresses thus ignoring the Host-Only DHCP server, or let the VM adapters get DHCP-served IP addresses. Or you can turn off the Host-Only DHCP server and set static IP addresses in the VMs. Standard networking rules define the IP addresses used: Don't ignore the netmask when picking static IP's.