Linux distribution won't work on Bridged adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Barff

Linux distribution won't work on Bridged adapter

Post by Barff »

Hello! I'm sorry about writing this because I think there is already a lot of topics similar to mine but non of them help me.

The problem I've encountered happens for second time and I think I know what is causing it but I'm not sure what will help...

I was trying to connect my external wireless adapter to the virtual box and I did everything as it has to be done but when I start the VM my wlan adapter is there but I loose connection from my host machine. This happened on my old laptop and now happened on the new one. When I plug out the adapter it is showing me that i should have connection now but when I tried to ping something it fails.

So I think the problem is caused by the adapter and it is something on the host machine but I'm not sure what..
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Linux distribution won't work on Bridged adapter

Post by scottgus1 »

Barff wrote: 6. Feb 2024, 10:17 When I plug out the adapter
This seems to imply that the adapter is a USB device, and you're using Virtualbox USB Filters to insert the adapter into the VM.

USB devices can only connect to one PC. So the adapter will connect either to the host PC or the VM, not both at the same time.

If you leave the adapter connected to the host, and use NAT or Bridged for the VM's network, the VM will (with NAT) or may (with Bridged) get on the network. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures
Barff

Re: Linux distribution won't work on Bridged adapter

Post by Barff »

So I visited the link you left and I tried to change my home network to private. But as I say, now even the external wifi adapter is out and i didn't played with the settings, when I start the VM via Bridged adapter it actually shows that I should have connection but there's no.
So I tried running Wireshark on both machines to capture the packets they are receving but the only packet in most cases is SSDP.