vmdk corruption after resize

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
xrgrr8

Re: vmdk corruption after resize

Post by xrgrr8 »

Yes unfortunately my issue seems to be a bit deeper than that.

It'll be a good resource if I can get Virtualbox (Or anything) to recognise the vmdk as a virtual disk and can use some of that information to extract my files but at the moment Virtualbox will not recognise it as a hdd and therefore I can't connect it as a secondary hdd to any VM.

I will/am readying through the link to see if it offers any inspiration or idea I have't thought of but its above my pay grade really and I'm REALLY HOPING someone with the knowledge will be able to help me out :cry:

I've very much learnt my lesson about backing up more often. I was less than 2 weeks away from moving to newer larger drives and was going to backup everything at that time.

The reason I didn't have a current backup isn't laziness or similar it's that I have backed up so many things on so many devices I had run short on storage and the one thing that decided to get screwed up is the one thing I haven't backed up in months

Thank you for the information all help is greatly appreciated :)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I successfully downloaded the file and plan to have a look at the weekend.
xrgrr8

Post by xrgrr8 »

Thank you so very much your time is truly appreciated
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

After a thorough look at the 32 MB you've provided, I see a chance to repair the grain directories and tables without much effort. Please provide the 33rd MB, so that I can check if the virtual disk contents have also been shifted or not. And please tell again the exact current size of the original VMDK file.
xrgrr8

Post by xrgrr8 »

OMG! Okay Anything you need

If by some miracle & skill you manage to help me recover my data I would like to try and work out some form of compensation as it truly means a lot to me.

With the ls -l command the size reported is 273271226368 bytes

I have zipped and uploaded the file which can be downloaded once from file dot io / Jq16z8qrh1u8

Thank you so so much for your efforts and if you need anything else let me know
xrgrr8

Post by xrgrr8 »

fth0 wrote: 29. Jan 2024, 01:14 After a thorough look at the 32 MB you've provided, I see a chance to repair the grain directories and tables without much effort. Please provide the 33rd MB, so that I can check if the virtual disk contents have also been shifted or not. And please tell again the exact current size of the original VMDK file.

Hi, Did you get the file?

I've been checking the forum daily & trying not to be pushy as you are/were giving your time to help which I appreciate.

Were you able to draw any conclusions?

Thanks
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Yes, I successfully downloaded the file and made some progress. I'm "currently" looking at the VMDK resize implementation in VirtualBox to understand where the conversion was interrupted to result in the current state of the VMDK file. But I had a busy last week, so there wasn't enough spare time.
xrgrr8

Post by xrgrr8 »

Thank you very much for your efforts they are greatly appreciated