USB Latency reducing on Windows guest from Windows host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Fox007

USB Latency reducing on Windows guest from Windows host

Post by Fox007 »

Hello the VM experts !

I need your help !
Is there a way to give all the host USB performances to a guest machine ? (Even if I have to dedicate this USB port to the guest, preventing host to be able to use it).

For car diagnosis reasons (OBD2 tools) I need to use tools that requires no latency from USB port.
I must admit that using a VM is not the best condition, but it's a no choice at this level (OS/rights limitations).

I already switched to USB 3 thanks to a tutorial I found on the internet which improved a lot (from unusable to usable) but I still get some connection losses whatever the tool I use (due to latencies I guess as these tools don't require too much bandwith to work).
I tried to give more cores/ram, with no better success

I'm using a Windows XP SP3 guest VM (allocated 2 cores/4GB Ram/VT ext. enabled/USB3) on a host with Windows 11 (i5 12 cores/16GB Ram/256GB SSD/USB3).

Any help will be welcomed !
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB Latency reducing on Windows guest from Windows host

Post by scottgus1 »

Real-time latency with the physical world is pretty nigh impossible in a VM, according to the forum gurus. If you require host-style USB speeds, then you need to do the activity on the host. Virtualbox has no "tuning" mechanisms for USB that I have ever seen or read about in the manual. It's just on or off. USB 3 is reported to be better than USB 2.

There should be older computers that can still run XP available, or an OBD2 app that works on modern OS's.
Fox007

Post by Fox007 »

I feared this answer :/
My concern is more about latency than speed.
These latencies induce timeouts.
If only I could set something to "realtime"...
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Fox007

Post by Fox007 »

Thanks, but as mentioned in my first post I already used this option.
Indeed with USB2 it was impossible to use.
With USB3 it's usable, but I still get timeouts.

I'm fearing that I already reached the max I could with virtualization & realtime usb... :cry:
thijsee

Post by thijsee »

About time outs (TO): try to REDUCE the speed of the guest instead of giving it more cores etc.
These TO time-settings are probably related to the processor speed and turn out to be to short for even the USB3 speed.
Vbox settings you can try to reduce: System > Processor > Processors + Execution Cap
Fox007

Post by Fox007 »

I need some explanations .. :roll:
If I understood well, your idea is to slow down the VM so that it's the USB that is waiting instead of the VM waiting the port.
Did I understand well ?
thijsee

Post by thijsee »

Yes. It's a little counterintuitive but if the time-out value in your legacy program is related to the CPU cycle, slowing down the CPU cycle should help. I don't know if it is possible to slow down the CPU cycle with the given VM parameters but trying it is free.
For your legacy program running on a modern machine/computer it's like driving a F1 car for Fred Flintstone, so missing a sign along the road is likely for Fred.
Fox007

Post by Fox007 »

I gave it a try, but with no better results. :cry:

I started with very low values : 40% of 1 core and 384mb of RAM. Windows XP still runs almost smoothly (the old time where low ressources were enough to run a Windows :D )
=> The OBD2 apps doesn't work very well, I got blank screens etc, and I still keep usb timeouts when I succeed to reach a screen

I then increased core / ram but I quickly left blank screens, and I still continue to have the issues with USB communication errors.

:cry: