Unable to start any VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
iMarble

Unable to start any VM

Post by iMarble »

The VirtualBox fails to start any VM and fails with error code 1. The hardening log is attached.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(14.48 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to start any VM

Post by scottgus1 »

There's not much that I can see wrong in the log. Please see Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues, post 4 and the last paragraphs of post 3, especially regarding any extra secutiry software you may have installed, beyond built-in Windows Defender.
iMarble

Post by iMarble »

I tried following things to solve the issue but in vain
  • Reinstalled VirtualBox.
  • Created VM again and again
  • I don't have any windows defender or web safe browser
  • Tried disabling Hyper-V
  • Tried running "sfc /scannow" without any luck
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks.
iMarble wrote: 31. Jan 2024, 17:45 I don't have any windows defender
On a Windows 11 host, yes, you do. It's Windows' built-in AV. But it doesn't interfere with Virtualbox so you don't have to do anything with it.

We'll need to wait for a forum guru to see if there's something else in the log that can be seen.

Meanwhile, if your host has the ability to boot from a separate hard drive, you could try installing Windows 11 again, and only Windows 11, on the external drive, and then Virtualbox only, and see if Virtualbox can start a VM. Windows with no other software should not have any hardening problems. Then you can add your other softwares, one at a time, and after a reboot try Virtualbox. The software causing the hardening problem should become evident after its install.
iMarble

Post by iMarble »

Alright, thank you.
I intended to write "3rd party defender" :D
Also i used the VM fine a day before this error and it was working good on windows 11. It refused to boot this morning and I haven't installed any other application in between.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

iMarble wrote: 31. Jan 2024, 18:18 i used the VM fine a day before this error and it was working good on windows 11. It refused to boot this morning and I haven't installed any other application in between.
This could indicate a failure to properly install Virtualbox, or to have uninstalled a previous version properly if it was an upgrade.
  1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
  2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
  3. Reboot again.
  4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
  5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
iMarble

Post by iMarble »

No luck :(
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK< I'm stuck then. Try the external drive experiment if possible.

Note that this is being caused by some other software on your computer. Maybe if you start uninstalling them one at a time (after a suitable reliable restorable host disk image) you might find the one that's blocking Virtualbox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VBoxHardening.log wrote:
LoadLibrary "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxRT.dll" failed (rc=126)
This log message is the key. The signature of the VBoxRT.dll library was successfully verified shortly before trying to load it, meaning that the file existed. So either Windows couldn't load one of the dependencies of the library, or some so-called security software prevented Windows from loading the library itself.

Two of the dependencies of the VBoxRT.dll library are vcruntime140.dll and vcruntime140_1.dll, and the second one wasn't found earlier. Therefore, I'd suggest to try re-installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable Package (x64) on your host.
iMarble

Post by iMarble »

fth0 wrote: 31. Jan 2024, 20:43
VBoxHardening.log wrote:
LoadLibrary "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxRT.dll" failed (rc=126)
This log message is the key. The signature of the VBoxRT.dll library was successfully verified shortly before trying to load it, meaning that the file existed. So either Windows couldn't load one of the dependencies of the library, or some so-called security software prevented Windows from loading the library itself.

Two of the dependencies of the VBoxRT.dll library are vcruntime140.dll and vcruntime140_1.dll, and the second one wasn't found earlier. Therefore, I'd suggest to try re-installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable Package (x64) on your host.
THIS WORKED!
Repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables fixed the error and now I can boot the VM <3.
Thank you So much :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

fth0, that's brilliant! Excellent!

If you'd like, the Diagnosing tutorial is unlocked, if you want to add this to the Exit Code 1 post.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, I've written Re: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues, so you can forward link it from Error Symptom 1: Exit with error code 1 if you like it. ;)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks muchly, will do!