RDP to windows host running Linux Guest - VM crashes after leaving RDP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AlastairD

RDP to windows host running Linux Guest - VM crashes after leaving RDP

Post by AlastairD »

Hi There, perhaps very related to this thread: viewtopic.php?t=103288 from 2021

1. I log in to my Windows work PC via RDP
2. I open my Linux VM
3. I close my RDP at the end of the day - or sometimes my connection is lost if there is a poor connection issue or such (happens few times a week).
4. When I reconnect my RDP I see that my VM has crashed.

Reading the article above, it seemed quite related, so I got my VM log - and it does appear that the change in audio has caused my crash. Log attached.

The first indication in the log that something is wrong is around:

Code: Select all

23:31:32.113627 Audio: Device configuration of driver 'WasAPI' has changed
And then over the next couple of seconds it goes on to print the stack/exception.

If that time is correct, the it occurred quite some time after I closed the RDP connection. This may be because I "cleanly" exited the RDP. But when the RDP connection is lost - usually that causes the VM to crash right away (so I reconnect within a minute and its crashed).

I updated to Version 7.0.12 r159484 (Qt5.15.2) recently to see if that would fix it - but it has not. So I am guessing that whatever was being tried in the linked thread didn't work out.

I figure this must be a common problem? - is there a solution / work around that does not involve me shutting down my VM every time? (which wouldn't help for RDP dropouts anyway).
Attachments
VM_crash_22_04-2024-01-31-06-59-06.zip
(29.42 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: RDP to windows host running Linux Guest - VM crashes after leaving RDP

Post by scottgus1 »

It hasn't always been a common problem, but as is usual with computers, problems come up.

FWIW 7.0.14 is out. You could upgrade and try that.

If the problem still happens using 7.0.14, you may need to open a new Bugtracker ticket with an attached log showing the failure events.

Meanwhile, based on forum guru fth0's comments in the linked topic, if audio is involved, then a couple workarounds could be had if you don't need to listen to audio from the VM:

A. Stop audio redirection in the RDP client.
B. Disable audio in the VM's settings.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

This is a known issue, solved in VirtualBox 7.0.14 and newer. For details, see #21931.
AlastairD

Post by AlastairD »

oh great - didn't even know 7.0.14 was out! - I'll be trying that tomorrow and report back : )

Otherwise I could try to disable audio - its slightly useful for notifications and such - but not essential.