Win7 guest video/sound issues after intel i5 GPU update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OldSkoolFanboy

Win7 guest video/sound issues after intel i5 GPU update

Post by OldSkoolFanboy »

Starting about 3 months ago after a GPU driver update for my 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12450H w/integrated GPU my guest Windows 7 (which had worked perfectly for years on WIn10 host) started having issues playing videos, either directly from file or in browser such as youtube. The video frame rate will lag and eventually freeze the VM entirely, even the startup sound is laggy. I've tried a fresh Win7 install and it did the same. I've uninstalled/updated Virtualbox, uninstalled/updated the video drivers, I've even tried an XP guest with the same issue. Has anyone else run into this? Everything worked great before and now even after several version updates to the drivers and app I can't get things running smoothly again. I'm definitely leaning towards it being an audio issue (same driver as GPU) as if I set the machine to null it improves (but still isn't right) I've actually found the machine in general runs better now with only 1 virtual cpu (but before I had 6 without issues) so something changed with the latest intel driver updates.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win7 guest video/sound issues after intel i5 GPU update

Post by scottgus1 »

Please start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)