New big feature or enhancement

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
edufissure

New big feature or enhancement

Post by edufissure »

Hi, i know that virtualbox developers cant speak about their developing work and are very restrictive with news and updates.

So ive curiosity of the next big feature or big jump that virtualbox is working on and if possible an ETA ( for example in next weeks, next months, next years...Probably thinking in vbox 7.1 or 8.0

Thanks in advance
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: New big feature or enhancement

Post by scottgus1 »

edufissure wrote: 16. Jan 2024, 19:52 Hi, i know that virtualbox developers cant speak about their developing work and are very restrictive with news and updates.
This is pretty much your answer. No one here knows, except for what's already come out.

So, we can expect further dev on the ARM Mac M1/M2/M# release, workarounds for Windows' newer Hyper-V-base security & Apple's no-kext Mac OS's, continued support for Windows 12/13/14/15 etc, Linux kernels 6.7, 7.0, 8.0, etc, stuff like that. No predictive dates are implied or possible.

When SETI finally makes contact, and the alien intelligence is a bunch of Plutonian computer salesman who require in their EULAs that we acknowledge Pluto as a real planet, Virtualbox devs will probably try to support that OS, too. :D
RonSMeyer1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Host: Linux Mint / Guests: Windows 10 - Win XP - OS/2 Warp 4 - MS-DOS

Post by RonSMeyer1 »

There is a release today. I can't see what is in it, though. I am going to hold off installing it until I know more.
Screenshot from 2024-01-16 12-31-45.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-16 12-31-45.png (49.14 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, the usual dev progress on 7.0 continues, and 7.0.14 is just out. Here's the changelog: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
edufissure

Post by edufissure »

I refer that many people around me agree that promox - vmware exi-vsphere ( Hypervisors level 1) and hyper-V from microsoft are the best in market. In second step software like virutalbox, vmware workstation and player and kvm.

Id expect some feature that differentiates virtualbox from other opponents, and approach to leadership in virtualization.

Thanks in advance