VirtualBox 6/7 will not run on Dell R7625

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
beartoothmountain

Re: Can't start any clients...all hang

Post by beartoothmountain »

Okay, as an act of frustration, I changed the host OS from Ubuntu to Rocky Linux 9.3 to see if that made any changes.

It did not. Same symptoms as before, I get what I now call the "black screen of death" and that is it, client will not even boot to begin a client OS install.

I'm guessing that means that this is a hardware incompatibility....yay!

I'll check back in to see if anybody has anything new to add.
beartoothmountain

VirtualBox 6/7 will not run on Dell R7625

This is basically a summation post of a problem that I tried resolving on this forum.

I have a Dell R7625 with a AMD EPYC 9124 3.0GHz, 16C/32T, 64M Cache (200W) DDR5-4800 processor.

I have tried both Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky 9.3 as a host OS. In both cases, the VirtualBox GUI starts, but any attempt to start a VM hangs immediately, even before booting. This exhibits this behavior both with saved VMs and trying to do completely new installs.

You can read the initial post here viewtopic.php?t=110661, it is under "Can't start any clients...all hang"

At this point I'm chalking this up to a unknown hardware incompatibility. I just wanted to post this summary so that others with this configuration can at least see that somebody else had severe issues with this setup.

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't start any clients...all hang

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, had to merge your posts Spreading it around is a forum no no, but I changed your topic title to reflect the summary.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VirtualBox 6/7 will not run on Dell R7625

Post by fth0 »

I got a second opinion that vaguely remembers a similar issue from a few weeks ago that has been fixed. Please try VirtualBox 7.0.14, which is expected around tomorrow (around 2024-01-16).
beartoothmountain

First, sorry about the posts...Just trying to better label my issue for any others searching for similar problems, thanks for the merging though, that works great!

Okay, just tried 7.0.14...no joy, same issue. The VM I am trying to create has max video memory (this is an obvious question based on the error log).

I've attached the error log from 7.0.14. This is running on Rocky 9.3, trying to install an Ubuntu 22.04 client from installation iso, this is not a pre-existing VM.

Still hoping somebody has an inkling as to what the issue is.

Thanks!
Attachments
test.zip
(18.59 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for trying VirtualBox 7.0.14! :)

I took a closer look at the new log file, but didn't see anything really different from the previous log file (except that the VirtualBox statistics are missing at the end because you didn't close the VM before taking the log file).

One small and perhaps irrelevant thing is the following log message:
test.log wrote:
00:00:35.688202 AIOMgr: Endpoint for file '/home/kasumi/VirtualBox VMs/test/test.vdi' (flags 000c0723) created successfully
00:00:35.688302 AioMgr0-N: Request 0x007ff808333ff0 failed with rc=VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER, migrating endpoint /home/kasumi/VirtualBox VMs/test/test.vdi to failsafe manager.
To rule it out, please create a VM without a virtual hard disk and see if it boots from the virtual DVD image. If that doesn't help:

I'd suggest to create a ticket in the Bugtracker. Append your earlier log file to the ticket, because the VirtualBox statistics contain information important for the VirtualBox developers.
beartoothmountain

Again, thanks for the ideas, just tried it, no effect. Client will still not boot (I even removed the space from the path...superstition). I am attaching another set of logs, this time after I powered down the Client.

So, I'll use your bugtracker link and go down that path.

Thanks for your ideas though!
Attachments
test2.zip
(33.36 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, I've commented the test2.log file in your ticket #21965. The log file indicated the same behavior as your first log file.