Unable to open Windows 10 on openSUSE 15.5

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to open Windows 10 on openSUSE 15.5

Post by scottgus1 »

The .sav files are "saved states" which are used for turning the VM off in an actual saved state, and for VM-is-running snapshots. There may also be a Virtualbox bug that doesn't delete these .sav files as it's supposed to. You can go ahead and copy the whole shebang. Extra .sav files will only take up host disk space. You can start a new topic about getting rid of any that the VM doesn't need, after you get the disk mounted and the VM copied. (Mounting disks and copying files aren't in the scope of this forum).

The .sav files cannot be used for anything except what Virtualbox wants to use them for under the hood. You can't manually fix this with a .sav file.

Question, though:
JKnott wrote: 5. Jan 2024, 00:05 I recently updated my computer from openSUSE 15.4 to 15.5. Since then, I cannot run Windows. When I start the VM, ...
If you were unable to copy the VM to the new disk, how have you been running it? Have you been running it from the old disk? Wouldn't you have had to be able to mount the old disk to run the VM? Seems there's something not coming through here somewhere.

scottgus1 wrote: 6. Jan 2024, 01:02 Try booting your VM OS in Safe Mode,
JKnott wrote: 6. Jan 2024, 02:38 I have tried pressing F4, F5 & F8 to get into safe mode, but none work.
Curiously, the web-search I did lead me to an article by Microsoft for getting into Safe Mode on Windows 10 which did not mention using F8. Not sure why you'd try it. It did mention F4 & F5, but only as keyboard shortcuts to use after you'd got into Safe Mode. So, not sure why you'd try those either. (F8 used to work on XP, but not on 10.)

Try that web search again. The intent is to get Guest Additions uninstalled to see if they are somehow interfering. I doubt the host OS is involved, especially since another 10 VM is working. You did try making a new 10 VM as well, right?
JKnott

Post by JKnott »

I was able to copy over the VM from the original drive but it won´t run at all "aborted".

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005)
Component:
SessionMachine
Interface:
ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

How did you register the copy?

Also, please read and respond to my questions above.
JKnott

Post by JKnott »

The original that I copied was registered years ago. I haven't tried a fresh install yet. I plan to try this weekend.

tnx jk
JKnott

Post by JKnott »

I'm getting "Can't run guest install". Would this be because I'm using the same product key as the original install? I couldn't even get that far, if I didn't enter a key.
JKnott

Post by JKnott »

Forgot to mention, that product key was from the original Windows 7, but I was trying to install a Windows 10 ISO.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox doesn't have product keys, so product key questions would be suitable for Microsoft help channels. FWIW if the VM is different than the one the key was used in before, then that's a new "computer" for licensing purposes.
JKnott

Post by JKnott »

I'll try to find a Windows 7 ISO and see if that gets me anywhere. If I can get that installed, hopefully, I can update to W10.

tnx jk