VirtualBox Additions module not loaded! Updated! See note on first post.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MikeInGenSan
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debain 12, Windows 11

VirtualBox Additions module not loaded! Updated! See note on first post.

Post by MikeInGenSan »

OK, so I am stumped again.
I am running VB 7.0.12 r159484
on Debian 12 with the 6.1.0-17-amd64 kernel

I have the Extension pack installed.
Syslog tells me

Code: Select all

blackbox vboxadd-service[2230]: vboxadd-service.sh: Starting VirtualBox Guest Addition service.
blackbox vboxadd-service.sh: Starting VirtualBox Guest Addition service.
blackbox vboxadd-service[2230]: VirtualBox Additions module not loaded!
vbox-setup.log tells me:

Building the main VirtualBox module.
Building the net filter module.
Building the net adapter module.
vboxadd-setup.log tells me:

modprobe vboxguest failed
(I don't know why the image does not display here. I have tested the URL and it is valid. It is a screenshot of the "Tool" window of VB showing the module installed.) https://ndevor.netwright.net/vbi.jpg

UPDATE NOTE:
There are NO problems with the VM's. The guest additions are loaded and I can see shared folders plus I have copy and past between the host and the VM.

This issue is why is the host displaying this message.

What did I miss in the manual?
Last edited by MikeInGenSan on 18. Jan 2024, 04:22, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox Additions module not loaded!

Post by scottgus1 »

IMG tags don't work for offsite images. Pictures can be posted using the forum's Attachments tab on the first day first post.

Please start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
MikeInGenSan
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debain 12, Windows 11

Re: VirtualBox Additions module not loaded!

Post by MikeInGenSan »

Please start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.
  • I always shut down from inside the VMs I have and do a true shutdown every time.
  • I always start from the VirtualBox app. (i.e. I click on the VM in the list of VM's and click on Start.)
  • There is no just loading the VM directly.
  • The problems occur every time. It is not a once in a while issue.
The errors I posted in the initial message were from the host. Are you suggesting the problems I am experiencing are not related to the host error messages?

The zipped log file of a Windows 11 VM is attached. I assume that is what you requested. The log file is the current one, not a log.1 or older.

Thanks.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(30.41 KiB) Downloaded 186 times