UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2 on a previously working machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
UnCoded

UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2 on a previously working machine

Post by UnCoded »

Hi all,
I opened a windows 10 virtual machine (which I use everyday, and it has always worked) and I have found this screen:
machine.png
machine.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
I have already tried to change the boot order and also to select another boot device but I arrive at this screen everytime.
I attach the log folder in order to give as many details as possible.

(the disk where the machine is placed is an external hard drive, I always connect it to the same USB port, so I don't think it's a matter of the Hard Drive path)

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Logs.zip
(54.26 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2 on a previously working machine

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't see anything wrong in the logs, myself. The VM apparently couldn't find the boot environment this time, and dropped to the EFI shell.

In the shell, you can run the command Exit, and the VM will put up the EFI boot loader, where you can choose the VM's disk to boot to. If the VM OS isn't somehow screwed up (*), it should try to boot.

* Having a VM's files on an external drive can be a possible source of screwing the OS up, if the drive gets unplugged while the VM is running. Did this happen recently?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VBox.log wrote:
00:00:04.791209 VD#0: Read (0 bytes left) returned rc=VERR_EOF
00:00:04.791227 AHCI#0P0: Read at offset 32768 (2048 bytes left) returned rc=VERR_EOF
This seems to indicate that the virtual disk image is smaller than expected, so it might be corrupted.

In general, I've not seen such a virtual disk image setup before (but it might be ok):

Code: Select all

VM name:  MACCHINA_OBSS
NVRAM:    E:\MACCHINA OBSS\VirtualBox\{C3DFA67B-DBFC-4956-BAD2081B39101534}\MACCHINA_OBSS.nvram
AHCI#0P0: E:\MACCHINA OBSS\VirtualBox\{C3DFA67B-DBFC-4956-BAD2081B39101534}\60C9721BE4BB37DB.000B1269.vmdk
AHCI#0P0: E:\MACCHINA OBSS\VirtualBox\{C3DFA67B-DBFC-4956-BAD2081B39101534}\60C9721BE4BB37DB.000B1269.diff.vmdk
AHCI#0P1: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
You have a virtual machine named MACCHINA_OBSS in a VM folder with the UUID {C3DFA67B-DBFC-4956-BAD2081B39101534} as its name, and the differencing image of a virtual disk image snapshot is located in the main VM folder instead of in the Snapshots subfolder.

Perhaps you should tell us how you created your non-standard setup.
UnCoded

Post by UnCoded »

I don't see anything wrong in the logs, myself. The VM apparently couldn't find the boot environment this time, and dropped to the EFI shell.
Already tried it, without success.
the differencing image of a virtual disk image snapshot is located in the main VM folder instead of in the Snapshots subfolder.
Yes, I have never tried to move those files, just created a virtual hard disk in my external hard drive.

Looking into the storage settings of the machine, It says that the normal vmdk is not attached and that "This base hard disk is indirectly attached using the following differencing hard disk" and writes the differencing image.

The differencing image of the hard disk is of the correct size (30 GB), the normal image is around 4 kB.

I just need the data inside the virtual hard disk, creating another virtual machine with windows is not a problem for me, just need those data.