VIRTUAL MACHINE FAILS TO PING

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
xema

VIRTUAL MACHINE FAILS TO PING

Post by xema »

Hi everyone,
I have Virtualbox version 7.0.10 r158379 with licenses.
My PC has Windows 10 operating system with version 22H2, and I use it frequently to connect it via Ethernet cable to an external PLC via bridged adapter configuration.
I notice the following problem: the virtual machine fails to ping the external target if the Ethernet cable is connected while the PC is powered on, while the real machine does. A restart of the real machine with the cable attached is required to allow the virtual machine to ping the target as well.
Therefore, this problem is manifested exclusively by the virtual machine. The real machine is able to ping the external target as soon as the cable is attached.

Do you know how do I have this problem? What’s the solution? Thanks a lot
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VIRTUAL MACHINE FAILS TO PING

Post by mpack »

You seem to be saying that the guest OS cannot ping, if the physical Ethernet cable is connect to the host when the VM is already running.

What OS is the virtual machine running?

Also, although you only talk about ping, is this really just a ping problem or are you saying that the guest OS has no network connection period. I can't think of a mechanism that would block only pings in a scenario like this.
xema

Post by xema »

Exactly, that's the problem I'm having.

The virtual machine OS is Windows 10 as well.

The guest OS has a network connection period, but the virtual machine does not ping.

I need to reboot my PC with the attached cable, and then finally I can ping. I know It is strange also for me
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please provide the following information twice, once for when everything is working correctly, and again for when the VM cannot ping.
  1. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

2. Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state.

3. In both host and VM OS's, run the correct command from the following in the Command Prompt or Terminal:

Windows:
    ipconfig /all
    route print

Linux:
    ifconfig or ip address
    route -n or ip route

Mac OS:
    ifconfig
    netstat -rn

A ping to the PLC from host and VM OS's.

Post the outputs, label which is which.

4. In both host and VM OS's, ping 8.8.8.8. Post the outputs, label which is which.

5. Shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)