Win 98 installation problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Brabian

Win 98 installation problems

Post by Brabian »

I've skipped in and out of these forums but it's been a while so I've forgotten a lot, including how to search more specifically for a phrase like "Win 98".
Anyway, I've recently installed the latest VM 7.0.12 and, having discovered Win 98 original disk, wanted to start up a new VM on my Win11 machine but I can't remember how to get the internet to work on it or my VM95 "machine". I've ensured it should be available (I think) and I set up the hardware interfaces as I remember them from pre-history but I still can't get them to access the internet.

Any helpful suggestions for such a pointless exercise appreciated! :lol:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win 98 installation problems

Post by scottgus1 »

Brabian wrote: 4. Jan 2024, 17:03 having discovered Win 98 original disk, wanted to start up a new VM on my Win11 machine but I can't remember how to get the internet to work on it or my VM95 "machine".
Please see No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest

Also try Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It depends on what you mean by "get the Internet working". If you mean getting a web browser to work, that will be very difficult. Even most browsers for XP do not support modern websites.

Networking in Win98 should work fine, but there is not much you can do with it. It can see other machines on the network but is too old to share files with any modern OS.

Win98Network.PNG
Win98Network.PNG (14.22 KiB) Viewed 972 times
Bill
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

Networking and file exchange between VM and host: for simple file exchange you can use the "unofficial" DOS Guest Additions from javispedro (just websearch for it, is also in this forum,). You can also set up file sharing to your Windows 10 host but that requires setting up smb1 on the host (by default off in Win10). If you only want to "import" large files you can use a CDROM image (iso file); or even a USB stick.
 Edit:  The javispedro post is titled "Unofficial guest additions for MS-DOS/FreeDOS/Windows3.x" (thank you scottgus for the link below) 
Last edited by ghr on 5. Jan 2024, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Perhaps ghr means these DOS GAs: viewtopic.php?t=105394