Ubunto 20 guest stalls on startup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
culliard

Ubunto 20 guest stalls on startup

Post by culliard »

Problem:
If the VM is powered on via the API (and VirtualBox UI not running) then the guest OS seems to get stuck on boot. If I then open VirtualBox UI, the booting eventually continues. It doesn't happen every time, but maybe 1 in 2 or 3 attempts.

Setup:
Hardware: Surface Go 3, 2 Core 1.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM
Host OS: Windows 11, 23H2 64 bit
Guest OS: Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit, 2 CPU, 768 MB RAM, Default paravirtualisation
VirtualBox: 7.0.12 and extension pack 7.0.12.

Don't believe I have guest additions installed as 'VBoxClient not found'

What I tried:
  • Removed VirtualBox (as it was upgraded from 7.0.6) and performed a clean install of 7.0.12 which didn't help.
  • Changed number of processors to 1 which appeared to help (didn't reproduce in 3 attempts)

Questions:
  • Could the fact that the CPU(s) are at 100% when the command is sent has any impact?
  • Should I disable HyperV as per viewtopic.php?t=92440, although I don't have 'Hyper-V in my list. Windows Hypervisor Platform is disabled.
  • Or what other possible causes?

Log attached
VBox.zip
(53.28 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Appreciate any advice
kabu

Re: Ubunto 20 guest stalls on startup

Post by kabu »

00:00:07.007530 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available

You are using hyper-v, which is in 7.0 still experimental feature.
Try disabling hyper-v completely if issue persists. Details are in folowing tutorial:

viewtopic.php?t=99390
culliard

Re: Ubunto 20 guest stalls on startup

Post by culliard »

Thanks for the link!

It was essential to do the following on the Surface Go 3 (Windows 10 22H2 and 11 23H2)
  • Disabling Virtual Machine Platform (in Windows Features) doesn't seem to be essential (as long as Hyper V and Windows Hypervisor Platform are disabled and on my tablets they seem to be disabled by default)
  • disable registry keys

Code: Select all

Computer -> HKEY_local_machine -> system -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> DeviceGuard
    -> EnableVirtualizationBaseSecurity -> set to 0

Computer -> HKEY_local_machine -> system -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> DeviceGuard
    -> Scenarios -> HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity -> set to 0

The following wasn't essential:
  • bcdedit command for hypervisorlaunchtype

On a Surface Go 4 (Windows 11 23H2, it also had the 'Secured Core' which I had to disable in the BIOS. But then I couldn't login with my pin and had to go through account verification!

Search mircosoft: /en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/credential-guard/configure?tabs=reg#disable-virtualization-based-security

For reference microsoft state that to disable VBS, delete (rather than set to 0) the following 2 keys

Code: Select all

Setting
Key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard
Key name: EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity

Key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard
Key name: RequirePlatformSecurityFeatures
Easy way to check if Virtualisation-based security is running is to check System Information page, near the botom of the summary page
Last edited by culliard on 4. Jan 2024, 19:28, edited 4 times in total.