add printer to guest: windows server domain controller

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
harris_maynord
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: sbs 2008 [not R2]

add printer to guest: windows server domain controller

Post by harris_maynord »

I state this generally and in more detail. assistance with either appreciated.

the general request is to point me to information about:
adding a printer that is functioning on the windows pro host
to the guest running a windows server domain controller.

never having setup a VM before, I found the oct, 2023 user guide for release 7.0 an excellent resource. but surprisingly, the word “printer” appears only twice, and neither of those addresses adding a printer. browsing and searching this forum, I can’t seem to find what I need.

more detail:
1. running legacy s/w that requires sql server.
2. for > 20 yrs doing that on a box running windows small business server (now 2008 [not R2]).
3. all of that now runs virtualized just fine (except for 4) as follows:
(a) host is windows 10 pro build 19045;
(b) host runs VBox version 7.0.13 r160164 (Qt5.15.2), with same version extension pack;
(c) host and printer physically attach to router via RJ45 cables;
(d) router runs DHCP server and assigns IP addresses to host and printer;
(e) guest VM runs windows sbs 2008 [not R2], setup with defaults that include role as domain controller; and
(f) guest VM uses host-only adapter, because I don’t want VM to connect to internet.
4. …except I can’t add the printer to the guest. I just need this final piece to finish.
5. request advice about getting a printer on the guest with:
(a) keeping the printer physical connection as RJ45-to-router, plus whatever changes you suggest;
(b) changing the printer physical connection to usb-to-host, plus whatever changes you suggest; or
(c) something else.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: add printer to guest: windows server domain controller

Post by scottgus1 »

Since the server VM is running on Host-Only, it does not appear to be serving anything on the network.

If your printer has drivers for Server 2008 r1 (which is Vistal on steroids), then you can have the printer continue to run on the host and share the printer on the host. Then the VM should be able to see the printer shared via the host's Host-Only Adapter IP address (defaults to 192.168.56.1 unless you've changed it).
harris_maynord

Post by harris_maynord »

sorry for delay. just about to send and had to take call.
scottgus1 wrote: 16. Dec 2023, 03:23 Since the server VM is running on Host-Only, it does not appear to be serving anything on the network.

If your printer has drivers for Server 2008 r1 (which is Vistal on steroids),...
the printer has those drivers
scottgus1 wrote: 16. Dec 2023, 03:23... then you can have the printer continue to run on the host and share the printer on the host.
I have shared the printer in win10, but when in the guest I try various methods to add/open/connect to the printer, I get an error that looks like a windows permission error.
scottgus1 wrote: 16. Dec 2023, 03:23Then the VM should be able to see the printer shared via the host's Host-Only Adapter IP address (defaults to 192.168.56.1 unless you've changed it).
could you expand on this a little? do I need to enter that address somewhere?
harris
sbs 2008 guest on win10 host
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

harris_maynord wrote: 16. Dec 2023, 04:29 do I need to enter that address somewhere?
Not in any Virtualbox settngs. It may have to be entered into the printer driver setup somewhere, so the driver knows where the printer is. But Windows should handle that automatically.
harris_maynord wrote: 16. Dec 2023, 04:29 I get an error that looks like a windows permission error.
This may be where your problem is. The host OS needs "file and printer sharing" turned on, and the VM OS needs the host OS account's username and password to access the host OS's shared folders and printers.

The usual thing to try is to share a folder in the host OS using the host OS's usual methods (not through Virtualbox Shared Folders settings in the VM Settings), and share the printer. Then bring up the shared folder provided by the host OS inside the VM OS, and in the permissions window enter the host computer name, account, and password, like this:

computername\accountname
password

Once the shared folder comes up, you can use the VM OS's "add a printer" function to find and add the shared printer.
harris_maynord

Post by harris_maynord »

excellent!
I have done most of that on the host, but I will try all of what you stated.
harris
harris_maynord

Post by harris_maynord »

scottgus1 wrote: 16. Dec 2023, 14:53 ...
This may be where your problem is. The host OS needs "file and printer sharing" turned on, and the VM OS needs the host OS account's username and password to access the host OS's shared folders and printers.

The usual thing to try is to share a folder in the host OS using the host OS's usual methods (not through Virtualbox Shared Folders settings in the VM Settings), and share the printer. Then bring up the shared folder provided by the host OS inside the VM OS, and in the permissions window enter the host computer name, account, and password, like this:

computername\accountname
password

Once the shared folder comes up, you can use the VM OS's "add a printer" function to find and add the shared printer.
thank you, scottgus1, for going above and beyond with non-VBox advice; i.e., taking the time to address apparent windows issues.
to confirm that I already had tried all of your suggestions, I tried them again. in the guest (sbs 2008) I have no problem accessing the win10-shared folder and finding the win10-shared printer. it is trying to add the printer that gives the error shown in this screenshot—“AMP” is the computer name of the host.
2023 1216 insufficient rts in guest sbs 2008 to add printer shared fr host win10.jpg
2023 1216 insufficient rts in guest sbs 2008 to add printer shared fr host win10.jpg (126.49 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
I also tried adding it via the guest’s SBS Console. similarly, I can find the win10-shared printer, but trying to add it gives the error shown in this screenshot.
2023 1216 use sbs console in guest sbs 2008 cant pub to AD a printer shared fr host win10.jpg
2023 1216 use sbs console in guest sbs 2008 cant pub to AD a printer shared fr host win10.jpg (122.18 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
FWIW, in the guest I have turned off User Account Control and all of windows firewall.
still suspect this is related to the guest’s being a domain controller; or maybe specific to small business server.
I will appreciate any thoughts about these:
A. in win10, change the host from a part of a workgroup to a member of the domain controlled by the guest (if that’s even possible and I can figure out how).
B. change the printer physical connection by (1) unplug the RJ45 cable to the router, and (2) run a usb cable to the host.
C. good grief, I just remembered this: small business server 2008 allows only 1 NIC in use at a time, so maybe the guest’s OS blocks the 2nd virtual NIC that is part of host-only networking?
harris
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Those two messages are definitely Windows errors and nothing to do with VirtualBox.

You could probably get around the insufficient privilege problem using Admin privilege, but the second message is pretty clear - Active Directory won't accept the registration of the printer. Since it is a DC, you need to find out how to publish the printer in AD.

I have forgotten just about all I ever knew about SBS ( and it wasn't much at its peak).
Bill