Update from Virtualbox v7.0.6 (to v7.0.8) is not possible; Host-System= Ubuntu 20.04.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Thompi

Update from Virtualbox v7.0.6 (to v7.0.8) is not possible; Host-System= Ubuntu 20.04.6

Post by Thompi »

Hello everyone,
I am using the operating system Ubuntu 20.04.6. ( Host-System ) an Windows10 ( Guest-System ). My current Virtualbox version is v7.0.6. The upgrade to version v7.0.8 ( or a newer version ) is not possible. I have downloaded the correct deb file ( e.g. virtualbox-7.0_7.0.8-156879~Ubuntu~focal_amd64.deb ).
But when I want to activate the deb file with the application installation I only get the option "Remove".
Does anyone have a recommendation for me on how to do the upgrade? Or does someone have a recommendation for me what I have to investigate to find a possible cause for the behaviour ?
I made a 1:1 copy of the entire hard disk and then ran "Remove". After that Virtualbox was actually uninstalled. Fortunately, I was able to restore the entire system through the 1:1 copy. Of course I still have the problem with the Virtualbox update not working. Thanks in advance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Update from Virtualbox v7.0.6 (to v7.0.8) is not possible; Host-System= Ubuntu 20.04.6

Post by scottgus1 »

Not ignoring this, but I'm no Linux guru, so I'd only be guessing.

A question on this:
Thompi wrote: 14. Dec 2023, 10:45 I made a 1:1 copy of the entire hard disk and then ran "Remove". After that Virtualbox was actually uninstalled. Fortunately, I was able to restore the entire system through the 1:1 copy. Of course I still have the problem with the Virtualbox update not working. Thanks in advance.

First, kudos on this!
Thompi wrote: 14. Dec 2023, 10:45 I made a 1:1 copy of the entire hard disk
Backups are always a good idea, and it's awesome you made one!
Thompi wrote: 14. Dec 2023, 10:45 then ran "Remove". After that Virtualbox was actually uninstalled. {Then I tried to install 7.0.8.} Fortunately, I was able to restore the entire system through the 1:1 copy.
Did you try the emphasized part after the "Remove" and before the restore?
Thompi

Re: Update from Virtualbox v7.0.6 (to v7.0.8) is not possible; Host-System= Ubuntu 20.04.6

Post by Thompi »

I have not actually tried to install it. Simply because a new installation is time-consuming. In the past it was always the case that the Ubuntu operating system automatically detected that a previous Virtualbox version was installed on the computer and with this *.deb file only an upgrade was necessary. So everything was fine. All configurations in Virtualbox in the previous version were adopted when upgrading to the new Virtualbox configuration. Just as it is intended from my point of view. In fact, I have been using Virtualbox for a long time. But fortunately I haven't had this behavior in the past. Regards
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thompi wrote: 15. Dec 2023, 07:21 Simply because a new installation is time-consuming.
I don't have a Linux host to try Virtualbox on, but on Windows the Virtualbox install is only a couple minutes max. Can't be much different on a properly working Linux host. And it isn't, because:
Thompi wrote: 15. Dec 2023, 07:21 In the past it was always the case that the Ubuntu operating system automatically detected that a previous Virtualbox version was installed on the computer and with this *.deb file only an upgrade was necessary.
Virtualbox doesn't "upgrade". It only complete uninstalls, then complete reinstalls. At least official Virtualbox does. So all those fast "upgrades" you've been doing were actually complete uninstall/reinstall cycles, so a regular manual uninstall/reinstall will be fast, too, on Linux.

If the "long time" you've been taking has been including rebuilding all your VMs, that part isn't necessary. The VMs remain behind through an un/reinstall "upgrade" of Virtualbox, just like your picture files remain through an upgrade of Gimp, or your documents and spreadsheets remain when LibreOffice is upgraded.

One thing to point out, though:
Thompi wrote: 15. Dec 2023, 07:21 the Ubuntu operating system automatically detected that a previous Virtualbox version was installed on the computer and with this *.deb file only an upgrade was necessary
If your package manager was not manually redirected to get Virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org, then it is pulling Ubuntu's fork of Virtualbox, not official Virtualbox, and you'd need to get support on this install problem from Ubuntu. We don't support the forks here.

You can tell if you're using the fork by looking at the first line in a VM's vbox.log. If the Virtualbox version number has a "_Ubuntu" after it, then you're using the fork, not Official, and you'd need to ask Ubuntu to fix their forked Virtualbox.

So, this is the final situation so far:
scottgus1 wrote: 14. Dec 2023, 18:49 Did you try the emphasized part after the "Remove" and before the restore?
Thompi wrote: 15. Dec 2023, 07:21 I have not actually tried to install it.
Seems this is the one part on your test you were missing, and the one part you need.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... linux-host
Thompi

Post by Thompi »

Hello, thank you very much for the feedback. I'll take a look at it when I get the chance and provide feedback from my side. Have a nice transition into the new year!