Windows 10 guest freeze on Ubuntu 20.04 host

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Pantelis Natsiavas

Windows 10 guest freeze on Ubuntu 20.04 host

Post by Pantelis Natsiavas »

I have a Windows 10 VM (guest) running on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (host).

It was working with no problem for many months. The last few weeks, while I was using the guest VM, it's UI started freezing after sometime for no obvious reason. For the last few days I cannot even login to the guest VM. The Windows VM starts, I get the login screen and I cannot even click to enter my password.

Steps taken to correct the situation:
- I originally thought that the problem had to do with the guest OS and thus I restored Windows 10. No change.
- Then I thought I should upgrade virtualbox. I have upgraded the virtualbox to version 7 but I have the same issue.
- I checked the virtual box log but nothing rings a bell

I don't know what to check next. Please find my virtualbox log attached. Please provide an advice.
Attachments
Windows VM-2023-12-17-11-16-48.7z
(36.06 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 guest freeze on Ubuntu 20.04 host

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows a lot of weirdness reading the hard drive and errors attempting to do so. Failure to read a drive could lock up the OS for a bit, until the failure clears, if it does.

Try a host hard drive test. If you have recent backups of this VM, keep them handy. If you don't, try to make some. A full copy of the VM folder with the .vbox file, the drive file, and all other files and subfolders within is a good backup, especially if you can file-compare the copy to check its integrity against the original.