D'n'D Guest to Host and vise versa.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Simple07

D'n'D Guest to Host and vise versa.

Post by Simple07 »

As many others, I had problems with Drag and Drop function in VirtualBox.

Sometime back, I had an issue with 2 finger scrolling in VMware, and I am aware of the fixes available, but I noticed that if I run vmware.exe as Administrator, 2 finger scrolling is restored, but I lose drag and drop from host to guest. However, I can copy items from Host and paste them into Guest.

I also noticed that if I run "VirtualBox.exe" as Administrator I lose the possibility of Drag and Drop from Host to Guest, and if I don't, I lose the possibility from Guest to Host.

Few years back, I found that there were some issues with installing some software on Windows 7 Virtual Machines (but not XP) if two virtual machines or more have the same username.

I just wanted to bring to the developers' attention the Hierarchical and Trust Relationship issues in Windows.
Last edited by Simple07 on 8. Dec 2023, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: D'n'D Guest to Host and vise versa.

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info, Simple07!

However, the devs don't come here on the forum very often. You'd need to make a Bugtracker ticket, with a straightforward process to reproduce the problem and a zipped vbox.log, starting the VM from cold boot not saved state, showing the failure in DnD attempts, then shutting down the VM window completely, for both admin- and regular-run Virtualbox.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

Thanks scottgus1,
I don't think a trace is needed for the issues; they are easily reproduceable. I reproduced them on different hardware running Windows 10 Build 19045 and Windows 11 B22621 and Windows 11 B26002. Got the same results.
But I will try raising a Bug Tracker.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

I have installed VirtualBox-7.0.13-160767-Win.exe and upgraded the VBoxGuestAdditions to 7.0.13-160753 which is included in the package).

Please note:
1- If you create an empty text file with nothing in it (0 byte) on the Guest and try to D'n'D it to the Host, the process seems as if it is working, but no file will appear on the host. If you type any character in the file and save it, then try D'n'D it to the Host; it will work.

2- Once you drag and drop a file from Host to Guest, you can no longer D'n'D from Guest to host, until the Guest is powered off and VirtualBox Manager is restarted, then the Guest is started again.

P.S. The above behavior is noticed in the previous versions also.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Simple07, please post the link to your Bugtracker ticket.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

I upgraded to VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.13-160767 and Extension_Pack-7.0.13-160767.
No change with this issue, I still get the same behaviour.

I created a BugTracker ticket #21938