Virtualbox image keeps shutting down randomly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RIJA81

Virtualbox image keeps shutting down randomly

Post by RIJA81 »

I have been running a Home Assistant image via Virtualbox for quite some while now. The problem that I am facing is that it keeps shutting down randomly (couple of days up to a couple of weeks) The running image is shutdown but also the whole VirtualBox program.

I already did some investigation on my own like:
1) Made an automated rule in Home Assistant to see whether the shutdown was triggered from within the Home Assistant software, but that isn't the case.
2) I did a hardware / memory test on my Windows host PC, but also there no issues were found.
3) Off course I updated Virtualbox to the latest Software version
4) I looked into the Virtualbox logs and I see things going wrong at the end (just before shutdown, see logs attached at the end of Part2), but I am really not an expert in this area and google couldn't help me either :-)

So hopefully somebody over here can help me with this issue, because it is driving me insane.
Attachments
PART2 HAOS-9.4 MASTER-2023-11-28-20-46-31.log
(125.85 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Part1 HAOS-9.4 MASTER-2023-11-28-20-46-31.txt
(90.14 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox image keeps shutting down randomly

Post by scottgus1 »

BTW logs usually fit when zipped. Please confirm that nothing is missing from your split unzipped log segments at this timestamp:
00:00:10.440175 xHCI: USB Suspended
00:00:10.450571 EFI: debug point DXE_AP
(log breaks here)
00:01:39.650944 GUI: UIMachineLogic: Host-screen available-area changed
13:38:17.296745 Audio: Device configuration of driver 'WasAPI' has changed
From the pieces of the log we have, I see a VM that seems to run correctly for 13-ish hours, then shuts off with a normal power down of the Virtualbox "hardware". No crashes were seen.

There were some mentions of not being able to find some audio something-or-other. If your VM does not make noise on the host speakers, try disabling Audio in the VM's Audio settings.
RIJA81

Post by RIJA81 »

Oh sorry... I didn't knew I could also upload zip files, so I indeed removed a few log lines at the beginning of the part 2 log file. But there wasn't anything special that we miss (I think)

But reading yiur teply then you say a normal shutdown? Can you see in the logs what the exact trigger was for the shutdown?
Do you think that I can be related to the audio warnjngs?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It doesn't look like the audio is related to the shutdown. Did this log actually contain the run where the VM OS crashed?