Hanging at gIOScreenLockState Trying to Install Sierra

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Hanging at gIOScreenLockState Trying to Install Sierra

Post by granada29 »

Wohlstadter wrote: 7. Dec 2023, 03:05 Maybe granada29 can chime in?
Sorry - I am not sure what else to suggest. I compared your .vbox file with my running Sierra VM and the only real differences were the video resolution (my VM is 1920x1080) and the USB interface - I am using XHCI

One other thing you might try is to disconnect the host from the internet (i.e. unplug ethernet and stop wi-fi) and then manually set the clock to 1 Jan 2019. A lot of certificates expired a couple of years ago, although I seem to remember the problem didn't manifest until the installer displayed its GUI. See: viewtopic.php?p=475887#p475887
Wohlstadter
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by Wohlstadter »

Okay. Thanks for the response.

I will switch over the the more recent Mac Pro that does have USB 3 and try to reproduce your configuration.

For what it is worth, the Sierra I am trying to install is the one available at Apple. It is version 12.6.6 and the InstallOS.pkg is dated October 22, 2019. That would be after the July 1, 2019 certificate expiration and carries the assumption that this installer has the renewed certificate. Noting that the October 2019 install, while having a newer certificate, could theoretically still have an expired certificate, just more recent than the July 1, 2019 noted in the linked thread. I will reserve the clock hack for after the installation attempt on the Mac Pro (Late 2013).

Again, thanks for your time I greatly appreciate it.

Michael
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One thought:
Wohlstadter wrote: 7. Dec 2023, 15:01 I will switch over the the more recent Mac Pro that does have USB 3
This shouldn't be necessary. Virtualbox's "hardware" recipe is completely separate from the host's hardware, except for the CPU. You're not required to have physical host USB3 to enable USB3 in the VM.
b1tg

Post by b1tg »

Hi there, i have similiar issue on windows and after struggling i found a workaround to this issue:
1. Use vmware to install sierra
2. copy the .vmdk file to another location and use virtualbox to install from that file.