VM-specific location of VBox.log

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
UnitedWallabies

VM-specific location of VBox.log

Post by UnitedWallabies »

Trying to start a second VM (CentOS) on the same Windows host, I get an error about the VBox.log being busy.

If I shut down the first VM (FreeBSD), the second one starts -- but then I'm unable to bring up the first one due to the same error.

Seems like both VMs insist on logging into the same file Logs\VBox.log, but I don't see that path in the XML-files defining them.

Where is the log-path set, and how can I set it to something machine-specific? Or, maybe, disable this logging altogether?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM-specific location of VBox.log

Post by scottgus1 »

Something's definitely screwed up.

Please zip and post "Virtualbox.xml" from "C:\Users\{youraccount}\.Virtualbox" (Note the period in the folder name)

Right-click each VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file).

Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox or a .xml file.

All three files can go in one zip file. Post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab.
UnitedWallabies

Please zip and post "Virtualbox.xml" from "C:\Users\{youraccount}\.Virtualbox" (Note the period in the folder name)
Sorry, I cannot do that -- there is too much information about me and my employer in those files...

Maybe, you can advise me, what to look for?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

UnitedWallabies wrote: 11. Dec 2023, 22:15 Maybe, you can advise me, what to look for?
'Fraid not, I don't know precisely what I'm looking for either. But I'll know it when I see it.

Alternative: Start over with fresh new VMs. It is not Virtualbox's default for multiple VMs to write to the same log

FWIW, the only thing that can be hackable in the log is a public IP address, and those are already being pentested by the baddies. Computer account names, private IP addresses, etc, are not hackable info, being possibly common to many computers. If your bosses want these VMs to work, get them to authorize the posting.
UnitedWallabies

Alternative: Start over with fresh new VMs.
The second -- CentOS-based -- VM was created much (years!) later after the first one. From scratch...

Now, suppose I wanted to disable this logging altogether, how would I do it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Any such disabling would might* be mentioned in the manual. The PDF is searchable. https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... Manual.pdf

I don't know how to disable the logging. But I can see what would be odd in the xml & vbox files.

* edit: forgot about the non-documented environment variables, see fth0's post below.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

UnitedWallabies wrote: 11. Dec 2023, 23:33 Now, suppose I wanted to disable this logging altogether, how would I do it?
Please see [Feature request] Move certain VBox log files elsewhere.