Hello, Query on current status of Missing Cursor Pointer Graphics Anomaly

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
OVBUser

Hello, Query on current status of Missing Cursor Pointer Graphics Anomaly

Post by OVBUser »

Hello Everyone, Thank You for Your Time……………

I have a host PC1 running an application that requires the host PC keep its system focus on that application. The mouse must not leave the main screen the app is running on and/or click any other running app on the host (forcing a change of system focus).

I have a custom C# app running async in the background of this main running app that will simulate human interface inputs (keyboard, mouse, touchscreen, joystick) to this running app. I am currently using a second PC to send commands to the background app through the async serial port or TCP sockets.

I can’t have the GUI controller of the background app running on the same machine because to use the background app would cause the main app to lose focus.

A colleague said “You need Oracle Virtualbox” Let me say OVB is a beautiful thing!!!!!

I quickly ran into the “missing cursor/pointer” problem when using high resolutions. A search of google revealed a multitude of posts and videos on how to solve this problem going back at least 10 years; All of them repeating the same few possible solutions which do not work for me. The problem seemed independent of the host or guest system. A search of this forum revealed one post with a missing cursor on a specific tablet.

I am running VB, EXTNs, GestAdds at 7012r (this week’s) on Win 10 with Win 10 guest

I have tweaked and twittled the host and VB settings per the web.

All mouse functionality is present and working except for the bitmap pointer graphics on the monitor.
VMSVGA 1600 x 1200 Normal(window) working
VMSVGA 1600 x 1200 Full-screen working
VMSVGA 1600 x 1200 Seamless working

VBoxSVGA 1280 x 960 Normal(window) working, no pointer
VBoxSVGA 1400 x 1050 Full-screen working, no pointer
VBoxSVGA 1920 x 1080 Seamless working, no pointer

Since the cursor functionality is intact, my thoughts are I could create my own bitmap pointer in C# and have it follow the mouse coordinates but I thought I’d check on this problem before I proceeded with my workaround…….. I don’t even know if it will work over this anomaly.

Is there a porting / pass through solution to this problem??

What is the 2023-2024 status of this anomaly??

Thank You……
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hello, Query on current status of Missing Cursor Pointer Graphics Anomaly

Post by scottgus1 »

Haven't seen much of missing pointer posts, but I have seen glitchy pointer posts.

Please start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
OVBUser

Re: Hello, Query on current status of Missing Cursor Pointer Graphics Anomaly

Post by OVBUser »

Hello scottgus1,

Please find attached my log you requested. Thank You for looking at it.

Check out "ORACLE VB MISSING MOUSE CURSOR/POINTER" on google and youtube.

Thanks Again...........
Attachments
OVBUser-Missing Pointer-VBox Log.zip
(33.63 KiB) Downloaded 215 times